Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #81
Easy Rider

Re: Have questions GZ250 or Rebel 250?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazar14
That is an awesome deal considering the bike MSRPs for $3800. This deal however If I pay all up front and all in cash.
What does "quite possibly" mean. Get all the details in writing up front.

AND it is quite possible that if you take that offer to other dealers, you might be able to get a similar discount on a LOT of other models too......GZ 250 included. Dealers are hurting. Showrooms are still FULL of '09 models.....and in some places I've heard, a few '08s too.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #82
bonehead

Quote:
Nah they did not tell me, but multiple online reviews of the bike have.
Do you realize how many people lie about how fast their bikes can go? I find it very hard to believe that the V-star 250 can go 85 without modification.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #83
alazar14

You have a point but check these out.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/mot ... 71139.html

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/yamaha/ ... r/250.html

You are right they could just be lying or trying to sell their product or getting a small fraction of money from Yamaha...however I am going to take the MSF next friday-sunday and hopefully get on one to try it out for myself. Ill also ask the instructors about it.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #84
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Quote:
Nah they did not tell me, but multiple online reviews of the bike have.
Do you realize how many people lie about how fast their bikes can go? I find it very hard to believe that the V-star 250 can go 85 without modification.
Also a lot of folks are disappointed when the bike won't reach the maximum indicated on the speedo. So a little fib now and again makes them feel better.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #85
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
That is an awesome deal considering the bike MSRPs for $3800. This deal however If I pay all up front and all in cash.

AND it is quite possible that if you take that offer to other dealers, you might be able to get a similar discount on a LOT of other models too......GZ 250 included. Dealers are hurting. Showrooms are still FULL of '09 models.....and in some places I've heard, a few '08s too.
And don't forget to include the TU 250 in the hunt. It might be a lot more comfy for a tall guy. But you will still be hooped on the interstates and faster highways.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #86
Easy Rider

Quote:
however I am going to take the MSF next friday-sunday and hopefully get on one to try it out for myself.
Somehow I don't think they are going to let you take it for a top-speed run !!! :roll:

Sorry; couldn't resist. :biggrin:
Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #87
alazar14

[quote=Water Warrior]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Easy Rider":2o76gu1y
Quote:

And don't forget to include the TU 250 in the hunt. It might be a lot more comfy for a tall guy. But you will still be hooped on the interstates and faster highways.[/quote:2o76gu1y]

Not available in california
Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #88
Sarris

Bro, I've been riding for pretty close to 40 years. My take is that if you want a 250cc cruiser type bike, the GeeZer is the only way to go.

The next step for me would be the Vstar 650. They're comfortable to ride, cheap, reliable, and as common as dog shit so parts are easily available.

Sport bikes??? You can have 'em. I wouldn't touch one. Cruisers are a lot cheaper to insure as well.

That's my 2 cents worth.

:rawk:
Old 10-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #89
burkbuilds

Good luck with the MSF course and getting an opportunity to actually ride a couple of different 250's will really help you make your decision more than anything we could say will. I noticed on that "link" you posted with the 250 V-star, the 85 mph was not put up by the writer, but instead was a "post your highest speed" place for anyone to put in what they had achieved. It is worth noting that motorcycle speedometers are notorious for being off by sometimes as much as 10%. My Vulcan is off about 1/10th of a mile for every 5 miles I ride which is really good for a bike, but that will constantly change as the tire wears down. If someone had a similar website for GZ-250's I could post 82 mph as my top speed achieved, once, going downhill, with a tailwind, for about 5 seconds, (if the speedometer was accurate) so keep that in mind when you see stuff like that, it doesn't mean that you will be able to get the V-star up to 85 and it certainly doesn't mean you will be able to cruise at that speed if you did get it there. You also need to consider that, as someone already pointed out, bikers often lie about how fast their bike will go! (I know, inconceivable isn't it.). My guess is that the Rebel, the V-Star and the GZ will all be within 5 mph of each other in top speed, and they probably all will be able to cruise on flat land without wind at 65 mph all day, but that's about it other than for short bursts and that's pretty close to WOT on all of them. When I did my WOT run to Atlanta with the GZ, I hit about 77mph a few times on the downhill slopes of some hills on I-75 and I dropped back below 60 on the uphill side of some hills, and I pretty much kept the throttle wide open the entire trip. Again, if you really want to cruise 75 mph on the interstate, you will need a bigger bike!!!!!! . . . !!!!!! I do it all the time on my Vulcan 500, I know the Shadow 750 can do it, and probably even Easy Riders Shadow 600. I'd bet the V-Start 650 could handle that all day and several others, maybe even a few 400cc bikes but other than the Ninja 250, I just don't think any of the 250's can cruise at 75 mph, they might be able to achieve 75 mph, but not cruise (maintain) at it.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #90
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
I do it all the time on my Vulcan 500, I know the Shadow 750 can do it, and probably even Easy Riders Shadow 600.
Indeed. I didn't know this until after I got the 600 but the 750 really isn't that much of a step up power wise. The 600 is a little lighter so the performance is similar......and I'm finding that I really like the 4 speed transmission and the ~ 60 MPG!

If you go back a few years and find a 600 with dual carbs, it actually has a higher rated HP than the current 750's.......assuming it is in good running condition.