Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Some new riding gear.

Got bundled up in some new gear today to see how well it worked. Weather was really wet and +5 C (about 40 F.). Tried out my First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket shell with my Tour Master heated liner. Initially not impressed with the jacket. I felt drafts on both arms and a bit at the shoulders. Well it is waterproof and a breathable material so I couldn't complain too much. Had a blonde moment earlier I guess. I left two 9 inch long vents open, duh, found my drafts after I got home.
Also tried a balaclava under the helmet, worked real nice tucked into the collar of the heated liner. Helmet is easier to slide off and on too.
And I also gambled on this next item but it was worth it. Heated insoles for my boots. Now I am electric from top to bottom. My feet were very comfy with no hot spots and thinner socks than normal. The jacket, pants and insoles are all Tour Master with mating plugs and one controller powered by the bike. Darn bikes sure keep me broke but it's better than having money and no life worth living. Hoping to get out riding tomorrow with the vents closed and less rain.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
JWR

Re: Some new riding gear.

Sounds good.

I plan to ride tomorrow...about 55 f.

Took the granddaughter riding today. At 9 years old, she can flat foot the GZ and hold it up.

I let her sit up front and give it gas and steer on the straights.
She has been riding with me since she was 4.

Good times.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 12-22-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Gonna be a while before we get 55 F. around here. Not complaining mind you. Used to live with 55 below F on ocassions and it really sucks big time.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
BusyWeb

Hi, Mr. WW.
I'm very interested in your electric clothings...which I would never needed if I stuck in here California.
And saves $$ for me while enjoying the riding. ha ha ha
Anyway, does your VStorm handle all the amp. for your harnesses?
Old 12-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

So far so good with the power draw. The total wattage draw at maximum settings for the pants, jacket, insoles and grip heaters is about 160 watts. That does exceed the Vstrom's system a wee bit but I haven't needed that much heat. Just setting everything at mimimum is very comfy. If I ever need full heat from these items I shouldn't be riding. I can unplug one headlight for more power if the need ever arises. Earlier this year I did change my fork mounted driving lights to LED MR-16 bulbs which lowered the power bill quite a bit. I am still visible to oncoming traffic and like the added safety factor. A battery monitor is a future consideration for the bike.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Went for a ride since my last post. Did up the jacket vents and was a bit warmer, the elbow pit is a different material that breathes quite well so there was still a slight draft/coolness but certainly not a frigid experience. So I am happy with the new jacket overall and think it will also be a winner during summer due to waterproofing and the vents/ breathability of the material. Did a little experiment with the handguards. Using light cardboard and duct tape I filled in the bottom of the handguards. My finger tips used to get chilled and this seems to be the cure. Now I have to create a sturdier, more sophisticated design for a little more coverage and still be removeable for summer. This is how retired folks amuse themselves. Oh, temps were down to 2.9 C or 37 F.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
burkbuilds

Congratulations on the new heated gear! Sounds like you have everything you will need to stay warm and dry when you ride this Winter. Merry Christmas!
Old 01-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
greenhorn

Ever heard of used, know of these? Hippo Hands here: http://www.hippohands.com/index.htm

M
Old 01-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Hippo Hands have been around for ages. Some riders love them and others hate them. Other than some comments of being butt ugly they are probably a fantastic way to keep the elements away from your hands. The only comment in the negative that I would be concerned about is their habit of being a bit floppy and hard to put your hand back inside while on the move. A real advantage would be heated grips and summer gloves for better feel of the controls. Your wrists would also be out of the wind blast.
If you like function before form like I do you may find them real hand savers in colder temps.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
alanmcorcoran

Yeah, I could of used a pair of those today. It got down to almost 75 on the way to Ralph's. Brrrr!