Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Maggie

INtro for new member, Maggie

Hi all!

I have been lurking and reading the boards for a couple of weeks and decided it was finally time to step out of the garage and introduce myself. I have really enjoyed reading the posts and looking at the pics. Patrick, I giggle every time I see your bobbing head cat...I love that li'l guy!

Anyway, I got my GZ in April of 2005 and have just short of 8200 miles on her. Sadly for the GZ, at least for a while, I got the "I need bigger" syndrome and got the VZ800 in September of 2007 and the Road Star last January. So, I have been putting my riding miles on other bikes as well as the GZ. But, you know, despite loving the other bikes, the GZ holds a special place in my heart and I am glad to see so many other owners of multiple bikes that still sing the praises of this little workhorse! :2tup:

So, thanks for inspiring me. Last week, after reading some of the posts, I went out and did a spanking clean up and lube on the GZ's chain. Unfortunately, the lift I have doesn't work with the GZ because of the pipe underneath, so I did the roll and clean method. Cumbersome, but worth it...the chain was sparkling for my ride today. (I have been sitting out the nasty So. Cal. rainstorm that started the VERY day I cleaned the chain!).

I look forward to being a participant on these very friendly and funny boards.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: INtro for new member, Maggie

Welcome aboard. I also have a GZ and a Yamaha (no Marauder VZ800 though, guess I skipped that stage.) Mostly been riding mine to work and other places I have to go.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Hi Maggie, glad you decided to drop in. We have a pretty good bunch here and always need a new member to liven things up. Lynda, my SO started out with a GZ and graduated to an M-50 Suzuki a year ago. The little GZ has a special place in her heart because it was so willing to suffer a new rider and also travel half way across Canada and back without so much as a wimper.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
alantf

Hi Maggie. 2005? I thought I could boast the longest continuous gz250 ride. Got mine in May of 2007. It's got around 15000 km on it, and I ride it every day. It's more of a workhorse than just a ride. There's so much traffic on this little island that a 10 minute ride can take an hour by car, & the gz (or Marauder as it's known in Europe) is the ideal bike to carve through the traffic jams. Sure, I'd love a bigger bike, but until I can find something as manouverable as the gz, this'll do me just fine.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
burkbuilds

Glad you decided to chime in on the forum, welcome!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The little GZ has a special place in her heart because it was so willing to suffer a new rider and also travel half way across Canada and back without so much as a wimper.
OMG, I am totally envious! Have you and Lynda seen the Youtube video of "the little Ninja that could"? The guy did a cross country round trip on a 250 Ninja. I just KNOW our little GZ's coould do it too! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=RVxoVEMTXp8[/youtube] I hope I posted the link correctly.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:22 AM   #7
Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
It's got around 15000 km on it, and I ride it every day. It's more of a workhorse than just a ride. There's so much traffic on this little island that a 10 minute ride can take an hour by car, & the gz (or Marauder as it's known in Europe) is the ideal bike to carve through the traffic jams.
Ummmmmmmm...even though I am an an English[wo]man by birth (Sorry, alantf, London for me, although my mom was born in Wolverhampton) and my dad is from Spain (I just LOVE that my GZ was made in Spain)...I haven't ever figured out the km vs. miles thingy (not to mention how UNmathematical I am!). So, what would 15000 km "translate" to??? I usually ride the GZ for my trafficky around town jaunts, as opposed to the highway stretches.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:51 AM   #8
alantf

1 km is around 0.62 of a mile (that is just over half) so 15000 km is 9,300 miles. Glad you've got a European Marauder (how did you get that in America?) The carb is set up differently to the American version (a stronger mixture) so you'll get slightly more power. This means "take no notice of the posts about modifying the carb". I would also think that the lighting on a European bike wouldn't conform to American regs.