Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
music man

Re: master cylinder view is cracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Your brake system is only pressurized from cylinder to the caliber, there is no pressure in the reservoir.This doesn't mean it shouldn't be replaced.

Good point, I forgot about that, but the outcome is gonna be the same if it leaks, no front brake on a motorcycle is a bad thing, Especially the GZ and its anemic back brake.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2010, 01:50 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Yeah that doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Your brake system is pressurized,
Ahem. Hate to say it but the site glass and the reservoir of the master cylinder is NOT included in the pressurized part of the brake system. It is sealed but not pressurized.

The worst it can do is leak out all the "spare" brake fluid which, at the end would cause partial loss of braking pressure.

[Edit] Looks like we've already covered that. :roll:

It is still not a good idea even if it doesn't leak because the cover should NOT be removed routinely because that lets in moisture and dirt.......which ruins brake fluid quickly.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:14 AM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Moisture in the brake system may mean a complete rebuild in time.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #14
alantf

Quote:
Yeah that doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Your brake system is pressurized, what are you going to do one day when you really need that front brake and you squeeze down real hard and your homemade glued on remedy comes flying off of there and you all of a sudden you don't have any brakes, you will be S.O.L.
That sounds a bit OTT. While I agree in principle that I would be tempted to buy a new master cylinder, the Whole system is NOT pressurised. The pressurisation comes when the brake lever is squeezed, & forces fluid from the reservoir (which is at +/- atmospheric pressure) down the tube to the piston. When the brake lever is released, the previously pressurised fluid comes back to atmospheric pressure, & thus the piston is depressurised & moves back to its original position.

Hence, a cracked glass will NOT cause fluid to shoot out under pressure. What it may do is to let so much fluid leak out, that there won't be sufficient left to be pressurised the next time the brake lever is squeezed.

Still extremely dangerous, but for a completely different reason to the one you said. :2tup:
Old 04-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #15
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf

Still extremely dangerous, but for a completely different reason to the one you said. :2tup:

Go and read up a few posts, we already covered my snafu on that one. The second I read where he said the reservoir was not pressurized I was like :oops: .

I had a brain fart.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #16
GZ250

No need to waste your brains on this small issue. Everyone knows that if somethig needs to be replaced you have to replace. what I said is a temporary remedy. Take it that way. I talked about a craked glas not a totally broken glass. If you get a flat tire and purtting some air can take you home I would do thaking all precautions.

If there is fluid in the reservior it is under pressure and if you see there is a very very tiny hole that takes the fluid down to the calipers. so even if you have some fluid it will work.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #17
alantf

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf

Go and read up a few posts, we already covered my snafu on that one. The second I read where he said the reservoir was not pressurized I was like :oops: .

I had a brain fart.
There must have been several people on line when I submitted that,because when I was writing it, it was the FIRST reply. It's only now ,when I come back to it, that I see that several other people beat me to the finishing post.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #18
GZ250

same as - HOW MUCH ASH IS BAD ASH?

make a sensible decision, if it is really leaking and you see the fluid flowing down on every brake or move, spend the money.

in recent future i will be replacing my brake pads so i am holding until then and i have put a think tissue padding there stuck between the handle bar and reservior in case if a drop come out stays there. i have never seen the fluid really disappear in 5 years. its level goes down as the pads wear but it never finishes so what i am thinking, will try to fix with a plastic cut out or if that does not work will close that for good. will put $130 to some good use. replacement is always an option when i will have spare $$$.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
No need to waste your brains on this small issue. Everyone knows that if somethig needs to be replaced you have to replace. what I said is a temporary remedy. Take it that way. I talked about a craked glas not a totally broken glass. If you get a flat tire and purtting some air can take you home I would do thaking all precautions.

If there is fluid in the reservoir it is under pressure and if you see there is a very very tiny hole that takes the fluid down to the calipers. so even if you have some fluid it will work.
Fluid in the reservoir is ''NOT'' under pressure,only fluid between cylinder and caliber is under pressure.There is no pressure in reservoir as I and others have stated.