Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 05-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
burkbuilds

Etowa, Georgia's Indian Mounds

Okay, this is probably kinda boring, but a few weeks ago I came up Highway 41 and looked for these things and couldn't find any signs telling me where they were, so today, riding back to school on I-75, I saw the signs and followed them to the Indian Mounds. Indian mounds were made by Native Americans long before the time of Columbus. There is not much actually known about them, but the generally accepted archeological explanation is that the Indians built these "mounds" as a burial place for their dead and a ceremonial place. It's kinda interesting that different ancient cultures around the globe often did similar things, and we rarely know the exact purpose or what went on there in the past. The druids also had "mounds" and of course the Egyptians and Aztecs and Incas all built various forms of pyramids as burial and ceremonial sites.

Those gray things are tree stumps. Not sure if you can tell in my photos. I couldn't get very close today the area was closed so I just had to snap pictures from the roadway through the fence. I assume that archeologists think they were just grass hills when the Indians built them, and so in recent years the trees were removed down to the stumps so they wouldn't obscure the view of the mounds.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
BusyWeb

Re: Etowa, Georgia's Indian Mounds

That's nice looking photos.
I've never seen those myself except from school textbook..
Thanks for the sharing.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
burkbuilds

BusyWeb, this was my first experience seeing them other than in a textbook as well. I was surprised at how large they were. There's not a lot in the photos that shows a scale except maybe the wooden stairway leading up the side of the largest mound in the first picture. I can't imagine how much work it would be to move that much dirt without machinery, truly an amazing feat. My estimate based on the railing height on the stairs is that these babies are 60-70' tall. That's a six-seven story building, pretty amazing considering they had no metal tools, and probably no wheels to help move the dirt along. It must have taken a lot of Indians a long time to do this, which implies an organized leadership capable of compelling them either under threat of punishment, out of great respect, or from religious devotion or fear.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
GZ250

tree stumps are visible in the last picture. no one ever tried to open/dig these, at least one mound to see whats in there, may be something interesting in there.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

The mounds are a sacred place that should not be messed with. I do share your curiosity and we all have a thirst for knowledge and history but I am sure the Natives would be more than a little miffed if some one starts digging.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The mounds are a sacred place that should not be messed with. I do share your curiosity and we all have a thirst for knowledge and history but I am sure the Natives would be more than a little miffed if some one starts digging.

Good joke for or about Natives......... :biggrin:
Old 05-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior

Good joke for or about Natives......... :biggrin:
What ?? Explain that comment a bit, please. :??:
Old 05-31-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
BillInGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
What ?? Explain that comment a bit, please. :??:
read in some sexual innuendo...
Old 05-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
Easy Rider