Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
Viirin

Re: Closing the throttle

Added some carb cleaner today after my fill up but i'm starting to think i'm getting too fond of it... actually, for the first time in my short riding life i'm thinking the carb isn't the problem (which is weird considering it's history) but i think by now i have to have one of the cleanest ones out there! still, couldn't hurt to run a bit more though....right?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viirin
Oh ok - thanks for clearing that up blaine - any ideas by how much or by what increments i should adjust it?

When you go to adjust,have the bike running,as you slowly turn the screw out you will hear the engine speed up.Once you turn it out to far the engine will start to stumble,(Rich) at this point start to turn the screw back in till engine stumbles.(lean).Set mixture about the middle of the two extremes,where the bike idles best.Do your adjustments slowly,about 1/4 turn at a time.

Good luck.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
Viirin

Thats great man - i'll do it as soon as i get a day off...which i think is tomorrow

Thanks for all the help - i'll let you know how it goes

Vii

Old 07-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viirin
Thats great man - i'll do it as soon as i get a day off...
You need to be aware that it is not as simple as it might seem.
The mixture adjustment screw faces DOWN and is inside a sleeve, making it hard to see.
You must first pry off a metal cap.
Then you must have a small, skinny screwdriver.....and maybe a mirror.

BEFORE you get into all that, how about explaining that last comment that you now don't believe the carb IS the problem ??
Have your symptoms changed any ? How about a recap of the present situation ?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
Viirin

No no nothings changed i just frequently clean the carb is all - I get a few pops of backfire (3-5 maybe) when i close the throttle to slow down in 3rd or 2nd that occur roughly 1 or 1.5 seconds after i close it but my bikes always done this i just assumed my bike had a small hole in the air box or something but nothing major. Still if it can be fixed i see no reason not to.

That procedure does seem a little more complicated than i had originally thought though - maybe some more preparation is needed rather than just having a go at it tomorrow morning.

** just to clarify, i'd class the mixture going through the carb as a separate problem to the carb itself - maybe that's just because the normal carb problem involves dirt or gumming up - maybe they're the same thing - i don't really know - apologies for any confusion caused **

Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #16
Viirin

Well after getting that day off and looking at it - i got that familiar feeling of not knowing what i was doing and so i decided to stop before i did any damage - i might ask my local mechanic to have a look at it when i'm getting my brake pads done (should be soon enough) but if it isn't causing any real problem i may not if it's going to cost a fortune in labour

In any case thanks for all the replies and i may have another look at it shortly down the line

Thanks again

Vii