Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
alantf

Re: Any helpful tips for a newbie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2

You can look through the BRC info here: MSF BRC Handbook

Decided to read through the booklet. All o.k. until I came to the part about passengers. it reads "keep both feet on the ground and the brakes applied while the passenger mounts" Quite clearly, this is impossible. "keep both feet on the ground and the front brake applied" or "keep the left foot on the ground and the brakes applied" is fine. But this is NOT what they state. If it's a simple typo, then either they haven't checked for errors before going to print, or they don't realise that it's impossible. Either way, it's something that a newbie might not spot. If they really do mean "front brake", then they should alter the word "brakes". This is what I do when a passenger is getting on, but for all I know, they might want the newbies to use both brakes. :??:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
Nutterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Baseball
- ATGATT.
- Most people out on bikes don't care what you ride, its the fact you ride thats important.
- Ride like a Zen monk. Don't be angry. If your anything but chilled, take a step back, deep breath, calm down. This may save your life.
I think that just about covers it.
What is ATGATT?
I am glad most don't care what you ride just that you do. I was worried I'd get made fun of the fact that I am super excited about a little bike like the GZ250
Love the Zen Monk comment ... that will stick in my head!
2001 Suzuki GZ250
Old 08-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterhead
What is ATGATT?

Love the Zen Monk comment ... that will stick in my head!
All The Gear All The Time.....ATGATT.

We try to live by the Zen Monk philosophy here at GZ250BIKE.......but we've had to BEAT it into a few users !!!! :shocked:

I still have bruises.

:crackup

Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
ArizonaKev

Congratulations on the bike Nutterhead. I've got an '01 myself, and I love it. I really don't have much to add - looks like everyone has given some great advice. I guess there is one little "tidbit" I might share though - something I learned the hard way...

I actually had the experience of the bike running out of gas on the way home one day. So, thinking to myself "ha - I have a reserve tank - I'll just switch it over" I did just that, and turned the petcock to the reserve position. Well, much to my dismay, the bike still sputtered and completely died just a few seconds later. I then remembered a post I had read earlier that very same dayy! (the irony was PAINFUL, to say the least) :

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Switched to reserve, then only got 1 more mile out of it?

This seems to firmly point to the fact that the pipe has come off the petcock (in the tank)

What happens is that inside the tank, the petcock has a pipe (open at the top) When in "run" the bike uses fuel until it drops level with the top of the pipe, when no more fuel can go into the pipe. Switching to "reserve" opens an outlet level with the bottom of the tank, which means that the fuel sitting under the top of the pipe can now flow. So,you can see that it's more of a way to let you know that you're low on fuel. If the pipe come adrift, then you are using all the fuel in the tank before it cuts out. You were lucky to get that extra mile. It seems like it's a common fault with the GZ. It's not a difficult job to repair it. It just means removing the petcock, retrieving the pipe out of the tank, & refitting it. You might want to wait until the tank is nearly empty, then set the petcock to "prime" to empty the tank into a suitable receptacle.

BTW if you want to take the tank off to do the job, again, it's really simple. :2tup:
So thanks to alantf for this good info, and take his/my/our advice, and make sure you don't actually rely on the reserve tank - always plan to get more fuel long before you would actually need reserve. And, if possible, take the cas cap off, lean the bike to the side a bit, and see if you can spy the pipe he is talking about sticking up from the bottom. Or, as in my case, laying in the bottom of the tank!

Have fun, ride safe, and welcome aboard! :2tup:

AZ Kev
Old 08-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

After all that good stuff mentioned above there is one more good one. Beg borrow or steal a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Dry sounding title but chalk full of info for new and old riders. Best life insurance you will ever have.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #16
GZ Jess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
After all that good stuff mentioned above there is one more good one. Beg borrow or steal a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Dry sounding title but chalk full of info for new and old riders. Best life insurance you will ever have.
I have that book and would be willing to share! :roll:
It really helped me understand the "physics" of turning a bike because that was one of my biggest fears.

Jessica
Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Thanks for the comment Jessica. A lot of newer riders still try to ride like they drive a car and that is hard work and dangerous.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #18
Nutterhead

Thanks for the info on the book! and thanks for the offer Jessice. I found it on Amazon there is also a second one called More proficient motorcycling, has anyone read that? Is it worth getting also?
2001 Suzuki GZ250
Old 08-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterhead
Thanks for the info on the book! and thanks for the offer Jessice. I found it on Amazon there is also a second one called More proficient motorcycling, has anyone read that? Is it worth getting also?
That would be the 2nd one to read. Hough has 3 or 4 different books on riding and all are excellent reads.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #20
Purpledrank

Keep your knees in once your legs are up off the ground. It helps a lot for me in terms of balance.