Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #31
blaine

Re: Think my time with my GZ is sadly over . . . what now?

Here on the Island there is no restrictsions on what you can ride.Your 30 day beginers permit only restricts you to day time riding.once you pass driving test you can ride when & what you want.Law makers need to wake up!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-29-2010, 05:46 AM   #32
alantf

I've just been checking the English regs (I still drive on an English licence as per EEC regs) :-

A learner motorcyclist under 21 can take 2 types of test.
Category A1 light motorcycle - allowed to ride motorcycles up to 125cc (11kw/14.6bhp)
Category A - allowed to ride any motorcycle with a power output of up to 25kw(33bhp) & a power to weight ratio of no more than 0.16kw for every kg. Allowed to ride larger powered motorcycles after 2 years of passing the test.

Riders over 21 can choose to take either of the tests set out above, or, take a test to ride bikes over 25kw.
So that learners over 21 can practice for the test for large motorcycles, they can ride any motorcycle on the road when accompanied (on another motorcycle) by an approved motorcycle instructor.
The practical test can only be taken by riders aged 21 or over and completed on a motorcycle of at least 35kw(46.6bhp)

Phewwwwwwww! When I took my test (in 1965) in England, the only regs were that before taking the test you could only ride bikes of 250cc or less, then as soon as you passed the test there were no restrictions whatsoever.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #33
burkbuilds

In the State of Georgia, US, you can get a motorcycle learners permit by just passing a written test that pertains to motorcycle operations and general traffic laws. This allows you to ride with a few restrictions for up to six months at which point you will need to have passed a road test or renew your learners. The restrictions are (1) Daylight riding only (2) no passengers and (3) No interstate highway operation. When you take the "road test" it's actually in a parking lot. The inspector makes sure you can drive off from a dead stop without wobbling, stay between two curved lines that are about a yard (meter) apart going both directions while traveling about 20 mph. You have to get the bike up to around 20 mph then the inspector signals you with one of three lights, either a stop light, where you have to stop without skidding before you reach a certain distance, or a left or right signal where you are required to turn the opposite direction and go outside of a marker on the pavement to show you can control the bike to avoid hitting something. You also have to show some handling around the parking lot, perform a u-turn without putting a foot down and stuff like that. It's only a basic test but it does show that you have obtained some minimal skill levels in handling your bike. If the inspector grades you well then you get your full unrestricted license otherwise you have to repeat the road test. The road test takes about 10 minutes.

There are no restrictions on how powerful of a bike you are allowed to ride though.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #34
music man

In Hot Springs Arkansas, you go take a 10 question written test that someone that didn't even have there car license yet could pass, and then they give you your motorcycle endorsement on your regular drivers license and that is it, you could ride anything from a scooter all the way up to AlanC's Stratotank legally, or even the fastest street legal sport bike on the planet, You can ride night, day, interstate or back highway.

It is really crazy for them to be that relaxed on their rules, but for someone like me that already new how to ride enough to get out on the road, it was heaven. I thought I would have to wait weeks to legally ride, but instead it took minutes. :rawk:
Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #35
Water Warrior 2

Alantf, thanks for helping out my old memory.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #36
oneyunguy

Well, Instead of a Suzuki, I am going to a 2006 Yamaha 650 V-Star Custom. Very nice looking bike with only 2,200 km's on it. No rust, no dings or dents.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #37
Water Warrior 2

A nice looking upgrade. Private sale or dealer ?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #38
blaine

Sharp looking bike.Should give you many miles of satisfaction.

:2tup:

Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #39
mole2

That's basically what I'm targetting for my next bike. I want a V-Star 650 Classic or Silverado. I've sat them only and they fit like a glove for me.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #40
Water Warrior 2

Don't forget the Honda 750 cc bikes. They are a nice line of models with good reliability too.