Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Forum Newbie

Go to Ride Reports and Meet-ups. I will be waiting for your report.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by UH40
There was a learning curve for me with regards to air-cooled engines, and I wound up in trouble a few times trying to get that extra 15 miles in.... anyone who has done a long ride knows what I mean
That doesn't sound good.

Quite the contrary, in fact, I don't think we have had even ONE report of overheating. I rode mine to Atlanta and back when the temp's were around 95 and the bike fared far better than I did.

I think we would like to hear more about that for sure.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

I have an air-cooled 1859cc V-twin and recently rode it 564 miles in one day - mostly in high heat, if not desert conditions, some of which including waiting in line at the Yosemite entry gate and I had no overheating issues. If your bike is in proper condition and you are (mostly) moving, it shouldn't overheat just from riding long distances. I've heard of Harleys from a few years back getting pretty hot, typically when not moving, but even that was mostly a rider discomfort issue - I don't think the bikes actually overheated. Sarris?

Old 08-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
Water Warrior 2

I managed to overheat my first bike. I must admit though I was mistreating it a bit and was lucky it did not seize up completely. As it was the poor little 2 stroke was wide open on a hot day and there was very little air flow due to some mods on the bike. It was acting like it was running out of fuel intermitantly and then would continue for a while before acting up again.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:24 AM   #15
mole2

Welcome aboard! Ride safe and keep the shiney side up. I would very much like to read your road report - just don't post it here in the introductions.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #16
UH40

Hi guys,

Well maybe my issue was not an overheating issue - however that is how I interpreted the problem I was facing. I blew the main power fuze (20amp) 3 times, however only while I was in 98-102 degree heat and had been running the bike at close to 67HPH as an average speed for 2 or so hours straight throttle time. I am not sure of the concurrent running time as I looked at my trip in terms of miles not time. I started looking for fuel every 150 miles. I blew 3 fuzes then up'ed the fuze to a 25amp to finish out the trip and slowed my pace to 55MPH for the final 130 miles. I also performed a side of the road blood transfusion (oil change) to help with engine cooling...but I dont want to give away my story I am going to post today in the "Road Report" section of the Forum.

On the Fuze issue - I am assuming that with the super heat from the blacktop, combined with the heat of the enginge caused a super heated electrical system, which will inturn draw more amps and caused the fuze to blow? but that was my thinking on the road.

-=UH40=-
Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by UH40
Well maybe my issue was not an overheating issue -

On the Fuze issue - I am assuming that with the super heat from the blacktop, combined with the heat of the enginge caused a super heated electrical system, which will inturn draw more amps and caused the fuze to blow? but that was my thinking on the road.
A component failing due to heat is not the same thing as "overheating".

If you did have an electrical component failing due to heat, it will be back later.

Leaving the larger fuse in there long term is NOT a good idea......unless you have added electrical accessories to deal with. While that was a reasonable solution while out on the road, you should put the proper fuse back in to see if the problem happens again.

You haven't done anything to restrict the air flow over the heads or the regulator, have you ??
Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #18
UH40

Hey there Easy...

No and No - there is no air flow restriction.. but high heat will induce a situation for the bike to draw more amps. I agree with you on the fuze and have already replaced the 25 with a 20. I was simply worried about popping a fuze in the middle of going through downtown Dallas in rush hour traffic, and I was at the end of the day and had been riding her all day. but it all turned out well, and I took a ride early this morning and she runs like a top!

The GZ250 is a great little performer - I can not say enough how surprised I was during the trip! She will not ever really be in that kind of long haul hight throttle situation again - so I dont really see me having that problem anymore, and I may have pushed a little harder then I should have trying to feel out the bikes limits.

I am very interested in picking everyones brain on a few mods - for one I would like to install a Tach maybe, and I am 6'4 so possibly some kind of peg and shifter mod if one exists, however I am kind of a purist so I want to keep the overall look of the bike as original as possible
Old 08-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #19
Sarris

UH40, where in Floriduh are you? I'm in New Port Richey, a bit NW of Tampa.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #20
UH40

Hi there Sarris,

I am from the Downtown Fort Lauderdale area.. I am familiar with the NPR area - I used to spend a great deal of time in Tampa and even more in St Pete... I am currently spending some time on the west coast of the US with some friends right now and may be here through out the winter.

OK everyone - as I read back on some of my posts already I have come to realize that I have not properly introduced my self.... So here it goes.....

I am 41 - Male

I just recently pruchased a 2005 GZ250 in perfect shape from an extended family member for $300.00 The bike had not been ridden in over a year - Never rained on - or even spent the night outside.

I installed a new AGM battery (Absorbed Glass Mat) and tried to clean the Carb myself with Seafoam (however that proved to be unsucessfull)

I had the bike towed to a shop and the Carb reworked (Cleaned via ultrasonic cleaning machine) and then rode her around for a few days before starting my road trip..

I am 6'4 and 210lbs so I am at the bleeding edge of what I would say is the size limit for the bike. I am extremely happy with the purchase and the overall performance and have affectionately named her "Bella"

I have around 15 or so years of motorcycle riding experience and have taken 2 motorcycle saftey courses in the course of my lifetime - one when I was in the military and one several years after that as a civilian.

I love a good active Forum - I am a horrible speller! and I will constantly refer to my bike as a "She" or a "Her" so please no one get offended by that because I mean it with the utmost affection for my bike...

-=UH40=-