Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Nutterhead

Highway Riding on the GZ

So I was trying to look and see if there were any threads about riding the GZ on the Highways. I know it is a smaller bike CC wise but I've seen smaller bikes in actually size on the highways. Can anyone share their highway thoughts and tips?
2001 Suzuki GZ250

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Highway Riding on the GZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterhead
Can anyone share their highway thoughts and tips?
What exactly do you mean when you say "highway" ??

If you mean a 2-lane state or federal highway with a speed limit of 55 or 60.......then it does just fine. Several people on here have taken them on LONG trips; mine was 1,200 miles.

If you mean freeway or interstate......then not really a good idea. YOu have to push the little beast to it's limits to keep up and with a little hill or head wind, you can't EVEN keep up.
For a couple of miles between interchanges it would be OK but othewise probably not.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
dhgeyer

What he said.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
frempath

The GZ250 will do highway speeds, but does not really like it much. It shines as an urban commuter where your sustained speed is less than 55. I am really not all that comfortable with it at higher speeds because there is no reserve throttle left to get you out of a tight spot, if need be. Also it is a thumper, so for me the high vibration at highway speed numbs my right hand very quickly due to an old wrist injury.

I think that it really depends what type of riding you do. If you do urban riding with only occasional highway use and little freeway use, this is an excellent bike. For extended highway or freeway use, there are better choices. I always likes the half liter to 650 for a nice utility bike that won't be best at anything, but will be acceptable for everything. One lady I used to work with loved her Vulcan 500 for the ergonomics and the ability to due freeway speeds all day.

As for tips,
Keep you head on a swivel,
Watch out for large trucks as they can have a nasty bow wave that will try to push you away and then suck you in as they pass,
Be ready for rain,
If it will get dark, take more jacket then you think you will need, dips in the road can have damp cold spots that make the ride really uncomfortable,
Wear all the safety gear you are comfortable with, but remember you are more likely to loose any parts that are not protected,
County roads can be the most fun to ride, but can have the least maintenance so ride with care,
Have fun and let the road wash the stress of the day away.

frempath

The older boy's GZ250 for about town.
Previous:
XJ 650
GS 450L
XJ 650
XS 650
TS 185
ATC 90
Old 08-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Highway Riding on the GZ

In general what easy said. One exception: if you are commuting on Ca freeways you can split lanes nicely with the geezer and you can also use the carpool lane. But outside of commuter time you have to really flog it to keep up.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
UH40

Hello Nutterhead,

I just recently (a few days ago) took a trip 1,200 miles using the Florida Turnpike to 75 to 10 to 49 to 20 and continued on westward. I kept in the right hand lane contstantly scanned my surroundings and pushed the bike a little hard. It was not at all an easy ride, and the bike will shake you up a little, but it is possible to do. The highest speed I attained was 70mph and that was really when I was descending small hills. I backed off the throttle if the speed started to go over 70. I also would move my seating position to the rear seat to stretch out a bit while riding and this caused the front of the bike to "shimmy" or want to "float" and wander.

I would not suggest a trip like this unless you have lots of saddle time or bike experience because you truly have to be very aware of what is around you at all times and try to position yourself accordingly because as stated by the other members above there is absoutly no throttle room left and you could get into some trouble if you are not careful.

Ride Safe
-=UH40=-
Old 08-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by UH40
I would not suggest a trip like this unless you have lots of saddle time or bike experience
OTOH, I would absolutely suggest a trip like that if you have the time to do it OFF the Interstates.......especially if you can find a US highway that roughly parallels a major Interstate......like US 41 north and south or US 40 or 50 east and west.

The little beast will run 55-60 all day long and if you have a lot of vibration at that speed, you need a valve check or a carb cleaning or chain maintenance.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
Nutterhead

Thanks for all of the advice. I do not plan on taking a long trip on such a small bike on the interstates. I probably will on back roads. If anything the only time I would ride it on the interstate is to work and that would be a 30 to 40 minute ride and our speed limit around here is only 65. So it sounds like that would be possible according to what most of you are saying. Thanks for all the help.
2001 Suzuki GZ250
Old 08-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterhead
our speed limit around here is only 65. So it sounds like that would be possible according to what most of you are saying. Thanks for all the help.
Yes, if.....BIG IF.....drivers generally obey the limit during rush times.

Some places around the country, you are going slow if you are 15 over......right up to the dead stop crawl......and then people wonder why there are traffic jams. :roll:
Old 08-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
alanmcorcoran

There's still the ass factor. Even at 55 not sure you want to have your behind in the Geezer stock seat for any length of time.