Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 10-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
3-D Video

Re: KLR 650 down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
I take it a zombie is the non-motorcycle part of the population that you are trying to get away from on your motorcycle. Like your boss, certain relatives, etc?
I think Alan started using the expression, more as a survivalists' description for those between you and where ever you're trying to get to… mostly out of town. But, "like your boss, certain relatives, etc." makes a lot of sense to me!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
3-D Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
I did a search of >motorcycle zombie< and found the zombies are much more insidious than I originally thought when I came across this, which explains it all: http://www.lostinasupermarket.com/2010/ ... ie-hordes/
These people have never met my relatives... Be afraid. Be very afraid!
Old 10-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Couldn't pick up the Concours with "the technique" eh?
Nope. Of course the Concours weighed around 700 pounds as outfitted, with way too much of the weight high up on the bike. The 7 gallon tank didn't help. But the engine was a vertical quad with the cylinders fairly high also. One of the worst bikes to try to pick up, if not the worst.
The Beemer wouldn't be a problem, and being lighter with a much lower center of gravity it's far less likely to go over to begin with.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
Sarris

The GeeZer is the easy one. At 850 +/- lbs., it's my Harley that's the nut dropper. I'll call AAA.

:lol: :crackup
Old 10-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-D Video
I think Alan started using the expression, more as a survivalists' description for those between you and where ever you're trying to get to… mostly out of town.
That's pretty accurate, but it should be noted that ever since I saw Resident Evil 3, I have sort of based my life on the movie. The movie came out in '07 - I spent some time that year at firing ranges and an outdoor range learning about 9mm, 45's and shotguns. (It should be noted that Milla uses a pair of Para Ordnance LDA .45 automatics in the movie as well as a Mossberg Compact Cruiser pump action 12 gauge. Sadly, the Compact Cruiser is not generally available to the public [but other similar shotguns are.]) In '08 I got my motorcycle permit and, shortly thereafter, the GZ and my license. The movie is set in the Mojave desert and Milla rides a BMW K 1200 R. I have decided to hold off on the Beemer until I get some dirt miles under my belt on my "practice" zombie bike (The KLR) (much cheaper.) I have personally reconnoitered a good deal of the California desert, solo, including: Joshua Tree National Monument (several times), Death Valley and all of the various Gateways to Mojave. I intend to take the KLR to Mojave itself for a full workout. (One big zombie/desert plus - the KLR has a 6.1 gallon gas tank.)

The action on the movie progresses to Las Vegas, and I think ultimately ends up in Alaska. There are some destinations around Vegas I intend to explore (but, unless there is an actual outbreak, not the city itself, although you can shoot machine guns there...[just sayin']) and I would like to eventually do an Alaska trip. I've driven from Anchorage to Fairbanks - a pretty serious haul over some sketchy roads - but it was a while ago and I've never covered the distance from the lower 48 to to the "upper one."

PS. I know the movie sucks.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Alan, you can stay on asphalt all the way to Fairbanks from home if you want. The Strat would be a great way to go. The KLR might be more tiring overall but would allow some side trips of the adventurous kind. Either bike is more than capable of doing the trip. Given lots of time and $ we would ride up to Alaska at the drop of a hat.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
alanmcorcoran

Yeah, for that trip I agree. Zombie/T-Virus/post apocalypse prep aside, on my List of Places I Hope to Ride to Before I Can't is the California Lost Coast. That's pretty far from me too, but not half as far as Alaska. For that trip I do intend to take the KLR as I understand to do it right requires some off-pavement riding. Maybe next summer. Too bad these things don't have a "Fly" mode.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Too bad these things don't have a "Fly" mode.
Most bikes have Fly Mode but the Landing Mode is a bit iffy.
Have you thought of a smaller toy hauler and the KLR ? Just a thought of mine.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
alanmcorcoran

I've thought about it. Might try it again sometime, but although it solves the problem of the long stretches of hauling ass down the superslab just to get to the good stuff, the trip really ends up revolving around the toy hauler and was less of an adventure than my solo bike trips. I think they have their place though. I know if I did more trips with my wife along I'd consider it, but I actually like to get away from everything and everyone mostly. I kind of like Busy's minimalist hauler. Maybe an Astro Van is in in my future.

I could also go Goldwing. Also might upgrade my seat on the Strat. So many ways to waste time and money. It's really pretty obscene.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Also might upgrade my seat on the Strat. So many ways to wast time and money. It's really pretty obscene.
Super obscene is more like it. I stopped keeping an eye on the Vstrom upgrades a long time ago. Too frightening to add up. I too have been considering a seat upgrade but the cost is waaaay up there. And of course the cross border shipping blah blah and more of the same. Russell Day Long seats are highly recommended but they also need your seat to work with. They are located in CA. so you might want to check them out. There is also a drive in service for those who make arrangements beforehand. Now if I could just afford a road trip and a seat.......