Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
Lefty

Looking For The Right Ride

Hello, my name is Lefty and I have ridden in the past---a 1967 dual-purpose Suzuki K15P (Trail 80) and a 1980s Honda CB 125. I'm now looking to get back into it and need a bike for around town and short trips on backroads (paved) where 45-55 mph wouild be the norm.

I'm 6'2" tall, weigh about 230 with a 32" inseam. I've thought about a dual sport like the Yamaha TW200 but really am drawn to the great lines of the GZ250 and Suzuki's reputation for producing a quality product. I've also been checking out the TU250 in addition to the GZ250.

I sat on a Honda Rebel and found it too cramped and thought the Yamaha V-Star was a little too low-rider for me.

Still am drawn to the GZ250 but thought I'd ask the experts here if they thought it would be a good choice for my size and the application I'm looking for. A big plus is the grand Suzie lopped off the list price in October making it $2999 MSRP.

-Lefty

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
blaine

Re: Looking For The Right Ride

Welcome.The G.Z. is a great all around bike,hard to beat,even better with a grand off the list price.The T.U. has the ease of F.I. going for it.There are members that are your size and the bike fits them well.Good luck with your choice,keep us posted!
:cool: :rawk:

Old 12-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
alantf

Hi there, & welcome to the madhouse.

I'm 170 lbs, 5'9", 31" inseam, & the Geezer's ideal for me. Our taller/heavier members have never reported any problems.

I live on a small island, with mostly 30mph limits, but 50-55 is certainly a point where the Geezer shines (coupled with a mpg of around the middle 60s). I've had my geezer nearly 4 years now, & the only way I'd trade up is if I could find something else as manouverable for town riding.
I certainly think that the Geezer could be just the bike for you. Just one caveat - Don't even think of freeway riding over any long distances. None of the 250cc cruisers like sustained high speeds (70mph or over) for any great lengths of time, & they're so light that they might feel slightly unstable at these speeds. Having said that, however, I couldn't wish for a better bike at 50-55, & I've been riding for over 45 years. :2tup:

Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Welcome Lefty. Both the TU and GZ have their strong points to consider. The GZ of course is by far more common and has a bit more aftermarket support while the TU is still relatively an unknown entity to the aftermarket. But don't rule out the TU for that reason because if there is a need for stuff you will find a way to adapt or make your own stuff. The TU will have you sitting a slight bit more erect with feet farther rearward for the sit up and beg posture. The TU has FI which is far less troublesome than a carb in the long run and more precise in fuel metering. Both bikes are pretty much care free, the GZ has proven this and the TU has a proven design and a common heritage from other Suzuki products world wide.
Do a lot of test sits on the bikes, get a feel for controls, reach to the bars, how does the seat fit your seat, leg position while sitting and how much bend is in your legs.
On your travels to and fro you might want to pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough and make arrangements for a rider training course. This will make your riding career far more enjoyable and safer.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
burkbuilds

Welcome Lefty,
I'm 6'1" and weight about 220 lbs. I put about 11,000 miles on my GZ 250 in about a year. It is definitely a better fit for us taller guys than the Rebel 250, which I have ridden, can't speak for the Yamaha or the TU. I wanted just a bit more leg room and I achieved that by adding about 2" of foam to my seat, which I preferred but that might not be your cup of tea. I think the GZ fits in there pretty well with bikes up to 600 cc or so as far as physically fitting your frame. If you want a bigger frame than that you'll probably have to go 750 or 900 size bikes or more. I found the GZ to be a pleasure to ride and easy to maintain. It handles well and for the type of driving you indicate, I think it would be a good choice. I'd still be ridding one except my circumstances changed and I needed to be able to put about 500 miles a week on something that could cruise at 75mph without pushing it's limits. Suzuki certainly sweetened the pot with that big price reduction, that is a lot of bike for the money. Good luck with whatever you decide, ride safely.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Lefty,

I have three bikes including the Geezer (which is the oldest and smallest of the three.) One of the others is an 1850cc cruiser and the other is a KLR 650. The Geezer is still my preferred bike for around town. I am 5'11, about 160ish.

The Geezer is not meant for freeway speeds but it is excellent for running around on what we call "the surface" streets out here. Also gets good mileage and uses regular gas. Besides not being able to consistently go 70 or over, the biggest complaint is the carburetor. If you ride regularly it probably won't be an issue but the TU might be worth investigating. Not sure I'd pay $1000 for the FI -and I think the TU has a dinky front wheel IIRC.

Good luck - let us know what you get and how you like it...
Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
CMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Welcome Lefty. Both the TU and GZ have their strong points to consider. The GZ of course is by far more common and has a bit more aftermarket support while the TU is still relatively an unknown entity to the aftermarket. But don't rule out the TU for that reason because if there is a need for stuff you will find a way to adapt or make your own stuff. The TU will have you sitting a slight bit more erect with feet farther rearward for the sit up and beg posture. The TU has FI which is far less troublesome than a carb in the long run and more precise in fuel metering. Both bikes are pretty much care free, the GZ has proven this and the TU has a proven design and a common heritage from other Suzuki products world wide.
Do a lot of test sits on the bikes, get a feel for controls, reach to the bars, how does the seat fit your seat, leg position while sitting and how much bend is in your legs.
On your travels to and fro you might want to pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough and make arrangements for a rider training course. This will make your riding career far more enjoyable and safer.
Have both and like both. The GZ would be close to perfect for me with a better seat and FI, the TU is great for me as it stands and I do like the style of the TU . Ordering a rear rack from Japan for the TU, this will make a great improvement. CMS :2tup:

2017 Yamaha R -3 White
2013 Suzuki GW250 Black
FSSNOC # 4953
Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
oakies

I have 3 bikes myself, the GZ beinng the smallest. At 5'11" 180# the GZ is a good fit for me. I use it mainly for running around town and a short 3 mile commute to work. Honesty, at your size and weight I believe the GZ would be to small for you unless you just plan on riding around town at speeds less than 45MPH. Any longer trips and you'de be way better off with a bigger bike.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #9
Fish Baseball

Mate, go with the GZ250..... I'm plenty tall 6'4" and a long legged individual, and the GZ seemed to have plenty of room for me. I agree that the rebel is too much on the small side, and the yammy is just...well....little and skinny. Ride the GZ daily anywhere but the freeway, (althou give it some freeway time occasionally, they like it IMHO) and enjoy the very forgiving nature of this bike.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Baseball
Mate, go with the GZ250..... I agree that the rebel is too much on the small side, and the yammy is just...well....little and skinny. Ride the GZ daily anywhere but the freeway, (althou give it some freeway time occasionally, they like it IMHO) and enjoy the very forgiving nature of this bike.
:plus1: