Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 02-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
Viirin

Re: Newbie bike owner to be. I need advice.

The gold rebel sorry - forgot there was 2

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
dentheman

I don't have a motorcycle, but will be getting one this summer. I have spent the last year or so researching different motorcycles, their specificationes, sitting on them, etc. This morning I weighed 230 lbs, and I am 5' 11". My only riding experience was at the MSF course, where I road a GZ250.

When I first started looking, I thought a 250cc bike would be perfect for me as a beginner. But as time passed I started looking at bigger bikes. Why? Because 1), I want a bike that will have enough power that I can use it to learn as well as ride for some distance on the freeway as I gain experience, and 2), Once I buy a bike, I don't intend to buy another bike in the future.

Those personal requirements rule out the 250's for me, except possibly for the Ninja 250, but that is physically a bit cramped for me and I think the forward leaning would cause me some back pain after riding a while (I am 61).

So, I am looking at new and used 500cc and 650cc cruisers, as I think one of those would fill the bill for my requirements.

If you want a small bike to learn on and use around town and for relativelly short commutes until you feel like upgrading, a 250 might be right (and you may not need to upgrade, as mentioned). On the other hand, if your requirements are similar to mine, go for something a little larger. I have gone to a couple local dealers, and they had the integrity to steer me away from 650 sport bikes based on my lack of riding experience, rather than attempting to make a sale.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Rebels are not going to get the job done, given your size.

Even at 5'11"/185, my knees almost knock the handle bars and sit way above the tank. Very odd looking. Like riding a Powewheel.

The S40 (Savage 650) is not too much bike. It's only 40 pounds heavier than the GZ250 and has a smooth power delivery, not jerky at all, since it's a 1 cylinder. No chain either. They have belt drive, which is less of a headache than having to service a chain. Fuel economy is in the mid to high 40s with a total range of around 150 miles per tank.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
blaine

If you are considering the 650 Savage(S40),I would seriously look at the Vulcan 500.It weights about the same as the 650 but is much smoother,and more powerful.A much better bike for the money.Just my thoughts,given that I have rode both models.
:cool:

Old 02-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
alanmcorcoran

Nex,

How far is your commute? There are two advantages of a 250 over the 650 - one is they are a little easier to handle as a beginner and the other is they use less gas. The two main disadvantages are they are underpowered for significant over 50-55 driving and they're not suitable for long hauls (cheap seat, bouncy, buzzy, wiggly, noisy.) If you want a comfy, fast ride you'll have to upgrade after 2-3K on a GZ. If you are going for cheap operation and you don't need to go over 55, and it's under 15 mile commute, stick with the GZ. I have three bikes and I still ride the GZ to work as it is the most practical and really my preferred way to get there. My commute is only six miles and it's all residential or residential plus (50 mph) roads. I can't prove it, but I believe the GZ is safer for me overall as it has a low seat, doesn't weigh much and is more forgiving of what Sarris terms "whoop shits." As you go bigger, mistakes are more costly and require more skill to recover from. At over 160 miles to the tank and a $8-9 fillup, I could get 15 round trips before going to the gas station at about sixty cents a trip (not including maintenance, depreciation and insurance.) Pretty hard to beat.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
music man

Without a doubt if you are going to buy a 250 and you don't like sport bikes, the GZ is the clear winner, I have heard good things about the Yamaha virago 250 but i am 6'1 and 200 pounds, and it just felt more cramped then the GZ did, that is just my opinion. And if your even remotely tall, like Jonathan said, you can completely rule out the Honda Rebel all together, no matter the year model.

If you just really think you need something bigger then a 250 to start out with because of your commute, the Suzuki 650 savage (or s-40, or whatever it is called these days) is a good choice, but may still leave you craving more bike 6 months from now (I don't know that for sure because I Have never actually rode one) , the Kawasaki vulcan 500, even though I have never rode one, from what I have heard is about as good a non 250 beginner bike as you will find. The other choice that no one has mentioned is the Honda Shadow 650, I have a sister that bought one and she had never rode a day in her life, and she learned to ride on it, and still rides it. I have rode it and it is very light and nimble, and isn't insanely powerful but will go freeway speeds with ease, so I would not rule it out as a beginner bike.

Me personally if I was a complete beginner (and I am assuming here, but you probably don't know much about working on bikes either) I would not get an extremely old bike, because you tend to have to turn a wrench on them a lot more often then a newer bike, something to think about at least.

One other definite plus to the savage 650 is, that like the GZ they are pretty maintenance free, and are simple to work on when they need it, the Savage actually beats out the GZ in that department because it has the same simple engine design, but has a belt drive, which the local Suzuki dealer told me on a low power bike such as the Savage, will virtually outlast the bike, he said he has only ordered two belts for one since he has been in business, so that is also something to look at.