Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
40MILERUN

Re: Suzuki new rider rebate

I see that they want your SSN. That's a little scary. I can't imagine why they need that. With your name, address and SSN, someone can get credit cards, duplicate ID's... all sorts of things.

When my wife uses this form, she's going to enter the last four numbers only and see if they accept it. I'm inclined to contact Jim Daniels (ASMC) and inquire why he needs that info.

40MR

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
kimo123

Yeah... please let us know what he says... But really, I guess SSN is already in their system ... Its just scary to enter it on yet another paper & making it easily accessible...
Old 03-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Just thinking, I do that sometimes, the $50 is probably a taxable form of income.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
40MILERUN

They already have your SSN as part of a purchase transaction, but that information falls under State and Federal legal mandates regarding the proper handling of personal information. That may not stop someone from misusing the info, but they are then subject to stiff criminal penalties for theft and /or negligence. The dealer also signs the purchase agreement. That contract imparts responsibilities to him. If you just write down your info on a piece of paper and send it off, there’s no presumption of protection or liability and no guarantee of how it’s to be used or handled. No one is accepting responsibility. You can’t even establish that the company ever received your envelope. I handle and track people’s personal criteria daily and you wouldn’t believe the training and personal liability statements I’ve had to sign and submit to do so.

I the U.S., at least, taxable income identification is incumbent on the individual submitting their earnings statement, not on the provider of the incidental income (below a threshold dollar amount). In 2010, I received rebates on a washer/dryer and a new furnace. Neither of those companies requested my SSN, nor should they have… you don’t put your SSN on a rebate coupon for that new plasma TV.

I’m not saying that Suzuki is doing something shady, but I am saying that, whatever purpose they have for requiring and tracking your SSN, it’s doubtful that it’s for the intended purpose of your SSN ID. More than likely, it’s to facilitate their database search configuration to verify that you made a legitimate motorcycle purchase (numbers are far easier and more reliable to match than names). Further, you’re exposing information that can be used to turn your world upside down, with no legal context for your protection.

40MR
Old 03-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
kimo123

Just spoke to Suzuki ... & the person I spoke to, assured me over & over that information provided in this form is safely handled & is required. He even mentioned that he personally knows the lady who processes these rebates & is very much aware of SSN being miss used. He asked me to trust Suzuki and assured again that this information will not leak out.