Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #21
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Idles but wont rev up

....thinking more, given the bike's age and low mileage, you really need to do this kind of catch up maintenance everywhere you get a chance. Think of it like restoring an old car. Even though it's an '05, it never even got past it's initial break-in period and then sat for 6 years.. That's a harsh life. Sitting for so long, and if the carb was dry, then some of the inner seals and things might have dried out as well, also leading to some of these symptoms.

I know it's kind of a different beast, but I once had all kinds of trouble out of an old '92 Murray push mower. I worked on everything, cleaning the carb, replacing the plug, check the seal around the muffler, changing oil... I even replaced the kill cable before realizing that there is a gasket and a rubber diaphragm under the carb which seals the area between the gas tank and carb. That diaphragm wasn't punctured or anything, but it was thin enough that when it stetched under the engine vacuum load it would allow too much pressure to build up in the system and kill the engine instantly. A $4 diaphragm resurrected a long-dead lawn mower.

Like I said earlier. Just hang with it. You'll get this.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #22
Jrod

Had the same problem with the bike I just bought. Threw some chemtool in and let it idle for about 10 minutes to get it into the carb and let it sit overnight. Came back the next day and drained the remaining gas out of the tank (which the previous owner said had been sitting for over a month) and drained the float bowl as well. A sizable piece of gunk appeared in the float bowl after drained, along with old nasty fuel. Filled up the tank with new gas and a little more chemtool and it fired up just fine. Idled a bit rough for about 10 minutes but after that it ran like a dream.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

While you are messing around by the carb you might as well install an inline gasline filter. They are cheap and do a good job of catching the remainder of the gunk in the tank. Any auto parts, dealer or small engine repair shop will have them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #24
Rococo

Had the same problem last year. Check your petcock valve, the diaphragram inside some times goes damaged when is not in use. (Quote my mechanic!). I replace the valve and problem solved. Expensive solution but worked for me.