Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-07-2011, 03:54 AM   #11
Cooteboy

Re: Can't get any fire...

You stated good fuel flow - How did you check for this? Did you pull the line from the tank to the carb? When you changed the plug, was the old one wet with fuel? Have you checked the new one again? Is it wet with fuel? Just because the fuel is flowing out of the tank, does not mean that it is necessarily filling the carb bowl.

If the plug's not wet, try setting the petcock to prime, tapping on the carb bowl with a screw diver handle a couple of times, and then tipping the bike from side to side - causing the float to drop so the fuel can refill the bowl.

Just a thought.

If the fuel is making it from the carb to the engine, then there's a whole slew of different things it could be. Try sticking a long screw driver in the end of the plug boot and resting the metal part of the driver 1/8 of an inch from a non painted metal surface on the engine. Hit the starter button and listen for a popping noise - spark.

If you have all of the above, and still no fire, then it's time to break out the compression tester.

Good luck to you

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Do the poor man's test for spark by shorting the plug against the frame. If you are getting spark to the plug then you know you have a different problem.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
Cooteboy

"Do the poor man's test for spark by shorting the plug against the frame. If you are getting spark to the plug then you know you have a different problem."

If you do it that way, just make sure there's a second plug already in the bike - if he does have fuel - fire is no fun when it's not supposed to be there. Also, if the plug happens to be bad right out of the box, then you won't be able to tell if you are indeed getting spark from the coil.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #14
techdude2013

Sorry about the late response. I'm not getting a spark from the spark plug...
Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #15
geezer

know where the coil is? under tank at the front of bike near steering stem, see it? ok are the wires connected? chaffed? i have noticed on my bike a zip tie threre that was beginning to eat a groove in the wire there. did you do anyof the things i told you about in my last post? how bout some answers bub :roll:

Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #16
techdude2013

My air filter is good, I'm getting good fuel flow through everything, and the bike turns over like a champ. At this point I'm thinking it's prolly electrical because I tested my old and new spark plug. No spark. I'm just wondering at this point if the coil is the best place to start?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdude2013
My air filter is good, I'm getting good fuel flow through everything, and the bike turns over like a champ. At this point I'm thinking it's prolly electrical because I tested my old and new spark plug. No spark. I'm just wondering at this point if the coil is the best place to start?
Hate to say it,but it's starting to sound like the ignition box. :sad:

Old 06-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #18
techdude2013

Ok. I might sound like a dummy here. But ignition box?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Run by Wal-Mart or the Home Depot, pick up a cheap volt meter and see if you are getting current through your ignition coil.
Hook it up to the positive and negative leads on the coil and bump the starter. See if you get the volt meter to register some numbers.

It's very easy. There are only two leads on the coil. It's the blocky box at the non-spark plug end of the spark plug wire.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #20
techdude2013

Sorry for the really late response! I've been working not stop lately and haven't had much down time. But my coil is good but I'm still not getting any spark. Any suggestions on what it might be?