Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
badfun

Send a message via AIM to badfun
The I'd like to hear your bike thread..

please post a video or audio clip of your bike. I'd like to hear some of the modded exhausts. as well compare how mine runs to others.

http://media.putfile.com/bike-sound

I finally did get the back end thing solved I had a flat on the high way two weeks back but thats a whole other story. So I had them put a new tire on the back, problem solved the mechanic said it looked like it had a flat spot as well as a hole from a nail. Now its smooth as butter and I did back the springs back down to setting three. So the place I took it was close but does Honda only engine work the tech that road it in said it seemed like it need a tune up or a carb clean.What do you experts thinks?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-20-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Certainly isn't running very smooth. I'd agree on the carb clean first and then maybe adjust your idle mixture if it doesn't clear up.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: The I'd like to hear your bike thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfun
please post a video or audio clip of your bike. I'd like to hear some of the modded exhausts. as well compare how mine runs to others.
As you may have guessed, your bike idles like %^&* ! :roll:

That's about how my bike runs when it is stone cold and I release the choke too soon........but it only lasts 30 seconds or so.

First, turn the idle speed up a bit.
This will help matters until you get a chance to run some carb cleaner through it.
Original Gumout or Berryman's B12 are good.

Sound comparisons using recordings are gonna be pretty much useless. Any changes you make short of putting on a straight pipe are not going to be too dramatic and will be hard to appreciate with a recording.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
badfun

I have ran 3 tanks of berymans.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
I have ran 3 tanks of berymans.
Sigh. THAT is not the only thing I commented on.

When the recording was made, was the bike COLD or warm?

Have you checked/replaced the plug lately?
Same for air cleaner.
How long since valve check?

You might now actually have TOO MUCH cleaner in the gas causing it to idle rough.
If that is how it sounds warm/hot, then turn up the idle speed a tad and get some fresh gas before you panic.

If that's what it sounds like COLD, then leave the choke (partially) on a bit longer.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
badfun

it wasn't fully warm but not cold either. I didn't have time make a full reply. I ran 2 tanks of berrymans then I ran a tank with out now I'm about 1/2 thru the current tank that has some in it. I had ridden the bike for about 45 mins and it sat for about 10 to 15 beforeI recored. As far as the plug goes I pulled it out when I first got the bike it looked brand new. I think I may put it in the shop next week and see what they say it needs. The guy from the shop said it sounded like the last owner stored the bike with gas in it.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

But now that you have gone thorough a couple tanks of gas, you shouldn't have any effects of old gas.

If you had ridden the bike for 45 minutes, it would be sufficiently warm enough to not be idling rough.

3 bottles of carb cleaner is probably overkill so I would consider your carb clean. Also, to echo Easy, you may have too much cleaner in there.

And like Easy asked, what about your last valve adjustment? IF not that, it's time to clean the air cleaner assembly, make sure you don't have an exhaust leak and then tune the pilot jet so that it idles correctly. To do this, your bike needs to be warm and you need to have already uncapped the pilot screw plug. Just take a short handled flat-head screwdriver and adjust tight to decrease flow and loose to increase flow. I'll suggest that you DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL YOU'VE TRIED EVERYTHING ELSE FIRST.

For a couple of pictures of the pilot screw location see Jaime's write-up on the GZ power increase.

While you're doing all of this, you may want to spend $3 and install an inline fuel filter. All you do is tap it into the fule line going into the carb. IF you're interested, I'll take a couple of pics of mine.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #8
badfun

its 3 tanks with it in it not "3 bottles of carb cleaner" my bottle is still over half full. Did I not put enough in it? the bike only had 1500 miles on it didn't think it would need a valve adjustment but I could be very wrong about that.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
its 3 tanks with it in it not "3 bottles of carb cleaner" my bottle is still over half full. Did I not put enough in it? the bike only had 1500 miles on it didn't think it would need a valve adjustment but I could be very wrong about that.
Have you tried just increasing the idle speed a bit ??????
Oh never mind...........
If you have not had it to a dealer for a "check up" since you bought it then that is probably what you should do.
We don't seem to be making any progress here.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
badfun

yeah,I agree Easy. That plus I have close to no experience with carbs does it show? lol