Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
New2GZ

bike doenst wanna shift down

i have an 05 GZ with 332 miles. i bought it used. when i bought it, it had 30 miles on it. yes it is not a typo. 30 miles only. the first couple miles the bike seemed good. but after i hit 100 miles, the bike started very hard to down shift. the only way i could down shift was that i have to let the the clutch lever by 1/2 and then pull back then shift down. this seems not normal to me. any idea? thanks for any input

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
blaine

Re: bike doenst wanna shift down

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2GZ
i have an 05 GZ with 332 miles. i bought it used. when i bought it, it had 30 miles on it. yes it is not a typo. 30 miles only. the first couple miles the bike seemed good. but after i hit 100 miles, the bike started very hard to down shift. the only way i could down shift was that i have to let the the clutch lever by 1/2 and then pull back then shift down. this seems not normal to me. any idea? thanks for any input
Check your oil level & your clutch cable adjustment.
:cool:

Old 09-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
alantf

Have you done an oil & filter change? If not, then it's possible that the bike was sitting all that time with the same oil in it. This could be your problem, & if you haven't already done this, then it needs it anyway.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
frempath

If that isn't the problem, check the chain tension. I have noticed that chain tension has an effect on how mine shifts. 300 miles on a new chain could have given it some break in stretch.

The older boy's GZ250 for about town.
Previous:
XJ 650
GS 450L
XJ 650
XS 650
TS 185
ATC 90
Old 09-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
New2GZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
Check your oil level & your clutch cable adjustment.
:cool:
i did that but seemed nothing changed

Old 09-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
New2GZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Have you done an oil & filter change? If not, then it's possible that the bike was sitting all that time with the same oil in it. This could be your problem, & if you haven't already done this, then it needs it anyway.
the previous owner changed the oil last November 2010. since he changed it he never rode the bike at all. i rode the bike for the couple of miles. since i knew that something was not right, i changed the oil and nothing happened. same problem.

the bike has this problem when the engine is really hot. when it;s cold, i dont have this issue. i dont know if i have to take it to a professional.

thanks
E
Old 09-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
New2GZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by frempath
If that isn't the problem, check the chain tension. I have noticed that chain tension has an effect on how mine shifts. 300 miles on a new chain could have given it some break in stretch.
how hard is it to readjust the chain tensioner. sorry for stupid question. im noob with bike maintenance but not with riding experience. thnaks
Old 09-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
blaine

Quote:

how hard is it to readjust the chain tensioner. sorry for stupid question. im noob with bike maintenance but not with riding experience. thnaks
Not difficult.You loosen the rear axle nut & turn the adjusters in or out to loosen or tighten the chain.Make sure the adjustment marks are the same on both sides.You should have between 1/2" & 9/16" slack in the center of the chain.
:2tup:

Old 09-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Gz Rider

Old 09-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

While you are down there you should squirt a little chain lube into the little rubber booties on the shifter linkage. After being basically parked for 6 years the parts might be rusted or corroded from lack of use.
Nobody asked what oil you poured in. Brand and weight please.