Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 11-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
lenkf

GPS app for Android

Looking for an Android compatible app that I can install in my device (Samsung tablet) that can accurately track distance and speed. I'd like to monitor speed/distance since the speedo on GZs are not known for accuracy. I've seen reports of GZ riders who claim to know with some certainty their exact mph and distance and miles per gallon, so I'd like to verify that with my GZ. Of course, such an app would be handy to also use in my other vehicles.

FYI, I recently ran out of gas while testing the limits of my '09 GZ with about 650 miles now. The trip meter had 165 miles. The reserve was adequate for another 20 miles and still had fuel at the bottom of the tank when I refilled.

Don't want to get off on a major non-GZ tangent or start a firestorm, just wondering what others are using. Such an app would also serve when traveling in my other vehicles. Needs to have ability to plot a map on the screen and audible would be a plus.

thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Gz Rider

Re: GPS app for Android

Old 11-28-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
lenkf

Yes, I fill up to filler neck and no more so that fuel doesn't slosh out. In California, the pump nozzles have "gaiters" on them to contain escaping fumes. When the pump automatically shuts off, the gas is still not up to the filler neck, so I have to manually pull back the gaiter on the nozzle and carefully add more gas while viewing progress, sometimes up to half a gallon Have to do this on my Vulcan 1500 too. Yes, this defeats the fume catching purpose of the gaiters, but pump technology is not designed for motorcycles with limited tank capacity.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #4
greatmaul

Depending on how often I drop it into 4th on the freeway, I've gotten over 170 or I've run out at 150. It's a bit of a trick flipping the switch while coasting on the fwy but you get used to it.

I have a Garmin GPS but haven't figured out a way to use it while riding yet, other than sticking it in the clear pocket on top of the tank bag. I thought that would work well, but it slips down to the bottom and I can't really see it without craning my neck down, which is bad.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Do a search for GPS Logger II. This works great on my BBM. I don't know if it's an Android app. But if lowly BB has something, then you should too.
Your android anything already has a GPS built into it. All you have to do if find something with a format that you like which can utilize it.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Gz Rider

Old 11-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul
Depending on how often I drop it into 4th on the freeway, I've gotten over 170 or I've run out at 150. It's a bit of a trick flipping the switch while coasting on the fwy but you get used to it.

I have a Garmin GPS but haven't figured out a way to use it while riding yet, other than sticking it in the clear pocket on top of the tank bag. I thought that would work well, but it slips down to the bottom and I can't really see it without craning my neck down, which is bad.
Just do a Goggle search for "themountguys". They have handle bar mounts for bikes. Should solve any problems without breaking the bank.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Jvacustoms

I use gaia gps and google navigation at the same time. Also a nifty little app for the traveling man on a bike might be the trip journal app, and carango or another car maintenance app that will allow you to sto repair history and other pertinent information on the go. there is also a app called dashboard free if u just want a gauge cluster.

Best of luck to you.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
lenkf

Rider,
At 165 miles the engine stopped. I was at a light in left turn lane and pushed the bike over to right side of road (lucky nobody recognized me). I thought to use the prime petcock position for a few seconds, then flip over to reserve. The engine started up. I could hear a little fuel sloshing. I had about 15 miles to go to nearest gas station (country road). I road conservatively and leaned down on the tank to maintain 50mph. I got to the gas station. I peered into the tank and saw a decent amount of gas left, around a quart. I was not in serious trouble. I was so worked up that I forgot to write down how much gas I put into the tank. I was just happy I didn't have to call for a sag. Now working on another tank of gas and will refill at 165 miles if I get that far, and write down the amount of gas this time. 63mpg isn't bad for a new GZ, and 2.5 times what I get on the Vulcan 1500.

Squid, I'll check into "Dashboard".

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
Gz Rider