Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
NavyDad6

SOON TO BUY

I am currently in Iraq and will be heading home in a couple weeks. I am disgusted with the oil companies and our government; since I have arrived in country gas prices have soared back home. The only way for me to cut costs is to get a reliable, inexpensive, gas-sipping vehicle for commuting. After researching for the last couple months the overall winner for me is the GZ250.

So I plan on returning home next month and probably buying in early August. I can't piss off the wife right after getting home. I will have to wait a month or so... :neener:

So anyways, here is why the GZ250 was more attractive to me than the Rebel or V star (virago):

Price - There is a dealership in Monroe, WA that is offering the 2008 GZ250 for $2995.
Style - After looking at numerous pictures of all the 250's, for me the GZ stood out.
MPG - My research showed that the GZ has the POTENTIAL of getting the best MPG, based on driving habits.
Comfort - Once I get home I will actually sit on all of the 250's, but reviews consistantly point to the GZ being comfortable.

Those were my major concerns (not in order).

JIBTEX
I will be another PacNorWest rider, I am normally stationed in Everett, WA (when not in Iraq). I was born and raised in Tacoma/Lakewood and graduated from Clover Park High School in 85'. The garden spot of America. I am looking forward to riding in the rain.

Ok... I have rambled enough. I will continue to lurk until I buy and then post pictures and a ride report.

Stay safe...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
rusty rider

Get home safe :2tup: , kiss your wife, and buy a bike. Sounds like you got a good plan. Be careful head low, spirits high.

Bought my GZ a couple of months ago, couldn't be happier with my choice :rawk:

Welcome to the boards. :cool:
Old 05-25-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
welcome (almost) home!

i think you'll like the GZ, i took it out on the freeway for the first time today and it did just fine at 60-65 mph, although there's quite a bit of vibration once you get into the higher RPM's.

it's raining now and i have places to go tomorrow, so maybe i'll get to ride cold and wet for the first time. exciting.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBTEXHNKA
i think you'll like the GZ, i took it out on the freeway for the first time today and it did just fine at 60-65 mph, although there's quite a bit of vibration once you get into the higher RPM's.
Freeway riding with the GZ:

If the drivers in your area are anything like Seattle (they actually pay attention to the speed limit most of the time) then riding something that barely does the speed limit is really OK.

People in LOTS of other parts of the country, however, should never consider getting on the freeway because the prevailing flow of traffic is 15-20 OVER the "limit" and being on a GZ would be hazardous to your health !!
Old 05-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Littlethumper

Hello and welcome!

Enjoy your stay.....

Old 05-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
Doug577

Send a message via AIM to Doug577 Send a message via Yahoo to Doug577
Just bought my GZ about 2 weeks ago, and have already put about 200 miles on it. Very much enjoying it and happy with my decision to buy it.

Get home safe!

D
Old 05-26-2008, 01:22 AM   #7
NavyDad6

Thank you all for welcoming me.

I-5 in the Everett area rarely gets above 50mph. Luckily, where I live I don't need to get on any major freeways to get to work. I will pretty much be sticking to county roads and city driving.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6
Thank you all for welcoming me.

I-5 in the Everett area rarely gets above 50mph. Luckily, where I live I don't need to get on any major freeways to get to work. I will pretty much be sticking to county roads and city driving.
Exactly where the GZ shines the brightest. It was never meant to be a high speed freeway bike but it works well almost anywhere else. Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #9
5th_bike

My commute is 10 miles city and 15 miles back roads, just perfect for the GZ250 !
Congratulations on your choice.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:16 AM   #10
NavyDad6

I just need to sell it to the wife. I am thinking of just rolling up the driveway on a new bike. Shock and Awe....