Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
webbmeister25d

New Helmet and First Ride on the "Other" Bike

First, a report on the Shoei J-Wing helmet. While it is out of production, there are a few places that still have them, mostly in the small sizes. I lucked out and found one in the right size (XL) in the right color (white) in Canada. I've worn it twice now, first this morning for my 2-hour PLP and ride on Nimrod (GZ), and once again this evening. This is the third helmet I've tried in the short time I've been riding. The first, a Scorpion Exo 100, is fantastic for daytime riding with goggles on and the shield down. It loses its charm in the evening, since the shield covers only 2/3 of the face. Mosquitos and other bugs find their way into my beard and (yuk) into my mouth if I happen to yawn or catch a breath through my mouth. The second is a Shoei RF1000, which entirely eliminates the bug problem and is quieter than the Exo. It does completely confine the head, and while extremely comfortable, it does get me uncomfortably into the realm of claustrophobia. I don't like dealing with that mind game at the same time I'm dealing with the newness of riding. The J-Wing is a fantastic compromise. The fit is comfortably snug and secure, and the field of vision is unrestricted. With the shield down, there are no bugs in the face, it is just as quiet as the RF1000, and (for me) there is no sense of confinement. The shield also did not fog. The vents work great - four on top and a fifth exhaust vent at the bottom rear of the helmet. It is very light (I can imagine eventually forgetting I'm wearing it) and the shape of the helmet really does a great job of reducing/eliminating wind buffeting. In short, I'm thrilled and the J-Wing will now be my "go-to" helmet. It's too bad Shoei went to a snap-in-place shield for their replacement model.

Second, all the practice on Nimrod has made Satan (Star V-1300) seem less like a fire breathing death machine. This evening, I pulled him out of the garage and rode him around the block. This is a MAJOR milestone for me psychologically - the size of that bike blew me away when it arrived and inspired the purchase of Nimrod, whose job it has been to give me a gentler introduction to riding and build my confidence to the point where I can comfortably and confidently handle Satan.

The ride, short as it was, was fantastic. Satan is surprisingly nimble, and took turns really smoothly. Acceleration is smooth and quite sturdy - the amount of power coming at the slightest twitch of the throttle is respect-inspiring. At 5X's the displacement of Nimrod's engine, the 1300 CC V Twin is really something. Turning from a complete stop was a challenge tonight - I'll have to get that strong throttle into my muscle memory. The gearing is a lot different than Nimrod's - getting out of first and into second unless over 20 mph causes the engine to bog. First is comfortable right up to 25 mph. At 6'4" and 275 pounds, I find Satan more comfortable to ride just because he's that much bigger than Nimrod.

Anyway, Nimrod does have a permanent home here and there is still much to learn riding with him in the parking lot. I just wanted to share that I did get out for a very short first ride on Satan, that some of the ghosts and banshees are gone, and that things continue to progress.

Jim

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
mole2

Re: New Helmet and First Ride on the "Other" Bike

Congratulations on all counts. Ride safe.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Re: New Helmet and First Ride on the "Other" Bike

Sounds great Jim. You have just proved size does matter. Smaller is better for a new rider. After Lynda got her 800 V-twin she commented that she was happy she developed her skills on a GZ. The bigger bike was a real handful to begin with. She said "If the big bike was my first bike I would have had 2 rides on it, the first one and the last one."

Login or Register to Remove Ads