Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
webbmeister25d

Friction Zone Variations

Hi All,

Continuing to have a fine time riding Nimrod. Doing a lot of Ride Like a Pro drills, and have noticed that the clutch seems to get into the friction zone at inconsistent points in the travel of the clutch lever as the day wears on. When starting out for the day, the zone starts to engage at about half the travel of the handle and is fully engaged just a little before the handle is fully out. This seems about right to me.

As the day goes by, the point at which the friction zone engages gets farther out along the path of the lever's travel until the lever eventually works almost (not entirely) like an on-off switch. This happens whether I am working the bike with the RLP exercises or just cruising around for an hour or two. Bike still doesn't have 2000 miles on it, got its 600 mile and has fresh, clean T6 oil. I can't imagine that this is excessive clutch wear at this point in the life of the bike, but am not sure what to make of it.

Thoughts?

Jim

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Friction Zone Variations

I don't think that is a real concern unless it affects your ability to ride safely. The clearances between the clutch plates are likely tightening up a bit due to heat and expansion of all the associated parts. As long as there is still a little free play in the clutch lever itself after being warmed up I would just be aware and adapt.
Just thinking, that is pretty much what the Vstrom does after some spirited twisties and higher rpm. Probably just a normal thing with bikes. Thanks for bringing it up. That may be a simple reason for some riders thinking the clutch is going away when it is actually just normal.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
webbmeister25d

Interesting. I didn't know this was common. I'm having a hard time getting my head around your hypothesis - "The clearances between the clutch plates are likely tightening up a bit due to heat and expansion of all the associated parts." In my admittedly non-mechanical mind, I imagine that as the mechanics get hot and expand causing tolerances to tighten, the friction zone is entered earlier in the path the clutch lever travels because the plates, having less distance to travel, engage sooner. The same on/off effect might be there, but again, earlier rather than at the end of the clutch lever travel.

The RLP exercises count on mastery of the friction zone and throttle combination. When the location of the friction zone varies, or when the clutch is an on/off switch, consistency and mastery are elusive. That is to say nothing of how poorly the exercises are executed when the bike is in this state.

Not arguing, WW, just tossing this around for further discussion.

Jim

Old 09-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
alantf

Mmmmmmmmmm....strange! I've had my geezer for over 5 years, and it's never happened to me. I'm no mechanic, but it seems strange that the normal heating of the engine should cause this. Dunno, but it seems a bit simplistic as an explanation. Hope I'm wrong, but................... :??:
Old 09-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmeister25d
Interesting. I didn't know this was common. I'm having a hard time getting my head around your hypothesis - "The clearances between the clutch plates are likely tightening up a bit due to heat and expansion of all the associated parts." In my admittedly non-mechanical mind, I imagine that as the mechanics get hot and expand causing tolerances to tighten, the friction zone is entered earlier in the path the clutch lever travels because the plates, having less distance to travel, engage sooner. The same on/off effect might be there, but again, earlier rather than at the end of the clutch lever travel.

The RLP exercises count on mastery of the friction zone and throttle combination. When the location of the friction zone varies, or when the clutch is an on/off switch, consistency and mastery are elusive. That is to say nothing of how poorly the exercises are executed when the bike is in this state.

Not arguing, WW, just tossing this around for further discussion.
You are entirely correct to question my idea. I was just going over the Vstrom clutch adjustment procedure in my head and there is a different/added adjustment that is made to correct for heat expansion on an actuating rod that the GZ does not have. Seems I was too quick on the draw with my idea. I made a leap of stupidity with old brain cells. Sometimes a little knowledge can be a bad thing.

Now back to the original question..........I got nothing. Gonna let that simmer for a while and see what turns up.

Jim

Old 09-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
webbmeister25d

WW - I appreciate the replies! They help me a great deal. If nothing else, the last reply caused some gears to turn in several quarters - nothing bad about that!

I wonder if the T6 has anything to do with it.

Jim
Old 09-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

I can't imagine why the T-6 would affect the clutch. I have used synthetic in the Vstrom and now use cheap old Retella dino and the only difference has been less oil usage with the dino. The synthetic usage was minimal and the dino is virtually nonexistant. I kinda like that.
Just for experiments sake, run a few drops of oil down the clutch cable. It may not do anything but you never know.

Just posing a question for you. Might it be your hand is getting tired after a longer ride. A little muscle fatigue maybe ??? Do you wear gloves and are they slightly snug fitting ?? Just tossing out ideas that may lead to other ideas. In some cases it might be the rider who is the weakest link and the bike remains constant.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
webbmeister25d

I'll try lubing the cable - not sure what will result. As for fatigue, my reactive reply would be "Of course not! Me Igor - me strong like bull!" The truth seeking side of me says: "I'll watch for that."

Thanks, as always,

Jim