Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
webbmeister25d

Results of Rear Wheel Alignment

Hi Everyone,

When I switched to a larger sprocket last month, I lost the factory alignment of the rear wheel. I used the factory marks on the swing arm to get it back to where I thought it was close. Over time, I became aware that I was not able to easily and naturally keep the bike going straight, especially at very slow speeds while practicing. It wasn't horrible - the bike wasn't wobbling down the road or anything that severe, but it seemed to me that with the amount of practice I've put in the bike should be helping me get better results.

So, a quick trip to Ebay for a Motion Pro aligner (OK, I'm frugal - bought a generic version). Small investment for potentially a bigger return. With the device attached to the rear sprocket and with the wheel axle set to the swing arm marks, the base end of the rod (where it emerges from the body of the device) was pretty much over the outside edge of the chain and the far tip of the rod was over the inside edge of the chain. After loosening things up, getting the chain tensioned, getting everything aligned, and tightening things down, this translated to a little more that 1/2 inch error in the swing arm marks.

As I mentioned earlier, the problem (if you can even call it that) wasn't huge, and as it turns out the results of the alignment don't seem to be huge. There is, though, a difference. It is now possible to do slow, straight line exercises in a straighter line with less tendency toward "beginner's wobble." When traveling on the highway, the bike tends toward traveling a straight line (stays in the 1/3rd of the road I put it in) without my consciously and constantly having to monitor and make corrections. Last, I think the chain is quieter.

So aligning the rear wheel to within a reasonable degree of accuracy does seem to pay dividends. The improvement seems well worth the $8 expense. I don't have any questions - just wanted to share the results of the experiment.

Jim

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Results of Rear Wheel Alignment

Great post. Glad to hear it was a success for just a few bucks. And yes the chain should be quieter now that it is running straight and true. Left the way it was you would be wearing out the chain and sprockets ahead of their time.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
trionyx

Great Post, could you please send me a working e-bay link about it?
If possible could you please upload it's manual here (a picture of it) to understand it better. (To tell you the truth I didn't understand exactly how it works.)
Frank

Old 09-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trionyx
Great Post, could you please send me a working e-bay link about it?
If possible could you please upload it's manual here (a picture of it) to understand it better. (To tell you the truth I didn't understand exactly how it works.)
Frank
Just Goggle Motion Pro Aligner and you will see a couple good pics of the tool. Very simple and accurate. Ebay motorcycle tools or accessories should provide a cheaper tool. A good way to align the wheel if you in doubt about the accuracy of the swingarm marks.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Way

I think this is what is being referred to:

Seems pretty simple. Could probably use a c-clamp, small piece of plywood and a straightedge in a pinch.

For ebay, use "chain alignment tool" and filter by lowest price. I get $6.95 (US) shipped as cheapest.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

:2tup: :2tup:
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
webbmeister25d

Yep - that's the one.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
trionyx