Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 11-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
HumbleNewRider

broken choke cable

My choke quit working. The cable broke within the cable housing. The pictures in the service manual are very poor and the process isn't discussed in the manual (that I could find).

It it a relatively easy task? (It doesn't require opening the carburetor, does it?)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: broken choke cable

If it is just the cable you can easily replace it. No need to mess with the insides of the carb.
Just follow the cable from the handlebar choke lever to the carb. You will see where it attaches.

Is it possible the cable just seized up and needs some lubing to set it free?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
HumbleNewRider

I unscrewed a long barrel nut / fitting where the cable attaches to the handlebars to exposure the wire. (The service manual isn't clear, but I "think" I'm supposed to use that barrel nut / fitting to adjust the slack in the cable. Does anyone know if that is correct?)

I was able to pull the entire cable out of the housing. It was rusty in several places -- and broken. I didn't unscrew the nut that holds the cable housing to the carburetor - and couldn't tell from the photos if that would be all that I needed to open / disconnect -- or if I would need to open the carburetor. So, thanks WW for confirming I don't need to open the carb. I'll order a cable today.

After seeing that rust, I probably need to lube the clutch cable to extend it's life.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Some light oil or ATF will lube the clutch cable nicely. Old school I know but it will work well. While you are in the lubing mode do the whole bike. Anything that moves likely needs some lube. Lever pivot bolts, rear brake pivots(front to rear), foot pegs swivel bolts, side stand. The foot shifter too. Squirt some chain lube under the rubber covers on the linkage for smooth as glass shifting. The GZ is like other bikes. They all like a little TLC.
Contact cleaner for the switches. Don't forget the side stand switch under the bike. It is easily found from the right side of the bike as it leans on the side stand.
Oops, almost forgot. A few drops of oil on the top end of the speedo cable. Just unscrew the top end of the speedo and apply oil to the inner cable. It will work it's way down.
Make a list of to do's every oil change. Hand it to your son. :lol:
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
HumbleNewRider

Thanks for the tip on lubricating the shifter. It has felt stiff when I been on the bike recently. Good idea to just go over the entire bike. We're having a cold snap (cold for Texas anyway), so now's a good time to go do that. (I would have forgotten the speedo cable.)