Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
superman566289

chain tool? where to rent one?

does any one in houston have a chain installation tool that i can rent from you guys? or does anyone know where i can rent one? the nearest shop to me is about 5 miles and i dont know any one that has a truck that i can use to take it to a shop and have them rivet it my only choice is to push the bike all the way to the shop can any one help please?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: chain tool? where to rent one?

Do you have your new sprockets yet?

Here is what I do with a new chain and sprocket. Not saying you should but this works for me.
I install the new rear sprocket and ride to the local shop. Pay the man with experience and the right tools to install the front sprocket and new chain.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman566289
does any one in houston have a chain installation tool that i can rent from you guys? or does anyone know where i can rent one? the nearest shop to me is about 5 miles and i dont know any one that has a truck that i can use to take it to a shop and have them rivet it my only choice is to push the bike all the way to the shop can any one help please?
Me personally don't bother with riveted links IMO. Yes a riveted link will never fall off, however with a few safeguards a clip style link will serve you just as well without issues. After you properly install the retaining clip (with the open end of the clip facing OPPOSITE the direction of chain travel !!! clean the link with carb cleaner, and then smear some Permatex RTV silicone over the clip. This will completely prevent the clip from possibly becoming dislodged.
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)

Old 11-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
superman566289

thanks for the help guys! water warrior i did go to my local shop i didnt take the bike because the chain snapped and sprockets chewed up im new to this and i never thought of checking all that its a 2002 gz with 26000 miles im guessing oem everything so i asked how much they would charge they told me $120 to put everything on that i had i asked how much it would be if i ordered eveything from them and they told me 270 parts and labor i didnt have that much cash to do it so i went ahead and read all of the how to's on here and i did it myself i did get my rear 41t and 16t sprocket and chain installed yesterday with a help of a friend and i must say i really love each of the shift points now my total bill was $145 with parts and a new rivet tool
Old 11-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Gotta love the sounds of success. Good for you. 26,000 miles is a lot of miles on any chain and sprockets. It can be done but is somewhat rare. Sounds like your chain and sprockets should have been replaced sooner though.
Make sure the new chain is lubed regularly to extend it's life. Oh, before I forget. The new chain will have some initial stretch as it breaks in so be prepared to adjust it again. Maybe a couple times. After that adjustments are few. Near the chain's end of service it will need adjusting often and should be replaced. There is a specific measurement to adhere to concerning chain life and should be followed. The measurement is here on the forum somewhere.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
superman566289

yea at the end of the job me and my friend hi five'd haha it felt pretty good to do all that work and get it working yea when we took off the old sprockets where chewed up chipped and was pretty lucky i didnt get hurt... would the chain lube sold at autozone work to lube my new chain? also my next job i want to tackle is the carb rejet and the air filter mod
Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

My favorite chain lube is DuPont with Teflon. It is good stuff and cheap. There are two types. The regular in a blue can and a chain specific lube. I used the blue can stuff. It is clean, doesn't fling off and easy to find in most big box home centers or hardwares. Lowes and Home Depot usually carry both types.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
chandlerbingfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam
. After you properly install the retaining clip (with the open end of the clip facing OPPOSITE the direction of chain travel !!!)
If done opposite the way you say....how would it matter? I'm just wondering why it would make a difference other than that's just the way it's supposed to be...

chandlerbingfl
Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingfl
Quote:
. After you properly install the retaining clip (with the open end of the clip facing OPPOSITE the direction of chain travel !!!)
If done opposite the way you say....how would it matter? I'm just wondering why it would make a difference other than that's just the way it's supposed to be...

chandlerbingfl
The open end of the clip could catch on something and be dislodged. Ride through tall grass and nick a hidden tree branch on the ground. Just imagine your chain guard coming loose and catching the clip. It can happen.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingfl
Quote:

chandlerbingfl
Basically what WW said. Correct chain clip orientation is far more crutial on long travel off road and motocross bikes. These bikes use a chain guide made of aluminum and composite material. The chain passes through the guide to stay in alignment with the rear sprocket. If you have the clip on backwards, you WILL pop the clip.... then chain snaps..... then chain takes out the engine case around the front sprocket. NOT GOOD !

I raced MX for 22 years, with my above stated precautions, never lost a chain link...
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)