Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
G1of5

ticking noise in top end

Good summer daze or is it haze!

I have an annoying ticking sound that sounds like it is coming from the top end... near the exhaust valve.... it is not horrible, just annoying and hoping it isn't a problem that can lead to further issues.

First thoughts were bad (citgo) 7-eleven gas... so i am running chevron high octane with a fuel treatment.. and hoping it will be the cure....

i hope the ticking is not some metal on metal somewhere; but, i am not a mechanic; just an extreme do it myself guy... in an attempt to avoid the $400 charge that owens suzuki just quoted me for a full service with valve job....

let me know if anyone has any advice....

Ride on!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
raul10141964

Re: ticking noise in top end

adjust the valves, and this engines run better with regular gas
Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
G1of5

perfect, will try it.... thanks a mil

Old 06-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
GZ250

in my case this ticking comes and goes, initially when i first bought this bike i was concerned about every sound then i got used to the GZ rattles. you will adjust to these sounds, only if there is some real problem, don't worry.

it is suggested to use regular 87 and add gas treatment every once in a while. i sometime use the highest grade gas and frequently add a bit more gas treatment additive and bike always runs smooth.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Goose51683

I use the highest grade gas, haven't done a treatment yet and I have horrible ticking that has popped up in just the past week.

What is the point where i need to take this to a mechanic? I've heard to change the oil, I've heard possible loose valves. I am pretty mechanically apt but I don't want to ruin anything. If this was my car I would freak out, but from what I've read it sounds like it's not such a big deal on a bike.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
mrlmd1

And why are you using the "highest grade gas"? Read all the threads on here about octane and what it is. This engine is designed to run on regular (87 octane in the US) gas as it is a low compression engine. Higher octane gas is for high compression engines and has "ignition inhibitors" mixed in to prevent pre-ignition in these engines. You are gaining absolutely nothing and actually have less power and worse gas mileage, but do have a lighter wallet, using high octane fuel. It is a myth that high octane fuel is better - it is not. It is designed for high compression engines only and will not solve any of your problems and may actually be contributing to them.
The ticking probably means you need a valve adjustment and your engine is trying to tell you something.
And the "gas treatment", meaning on here either Seafoam or Berryman's B12 Chemtool, is for keeping your carb clean if you don't use the bike much - it will prevent gummed up carbs and maybe clean them too. It has nothing at all to do with your engine ticking. You add 1 oz/gal of gas maybe every 3-4 tankfuls.
Search on here and get a little educated as all this has been thoroughly discussed before.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Goose51683

Thanks Mrlmd1. This is my first bike and I only have time to read the issues that pertain to me so this is where I started.

I'll read more before I bother anyone with my questions in the future.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
mrlmd1

I don't mean for you not to ask questions and it is not a bother to any of us.
I just get riled a bit when there are common misperceptions and myths perpetuated forever, like high octane gas is "better" or will solve all your problems and cure a poor running engine.
And, again, not to be scolding anyone, but Search is your friend. You never know where it will lead and you might learn something new you hadn't expected.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
bwader

I had loud ticking on my old 150cc Chinese scooter I had, I adjusted the valves again a little tighter and it went away, I went 3 miles and the engine seized.

When I took it apart I found that the piston rod went through the engine case and there wasn't any fixing the engine without replacing the whole engine. I sold the body to a guy with a scooter engine and needed a body and it was a win-win for both of us.

I had 3,300 miles on it bought brand new out of the crate from china, did PDI, oil and gear oil changes, and limited full open throttle for 5 miles a trip on 55mph roads. That thing I went 57mph gps verified full open throttle at 6,900 rpms and 7,500 rpms is the power band and 8,000 rpms is redline.

After that scooter, it was enough tinkering and replacing cheap parts with better ones. But I did learn a lot from the Itistherideforums.com or scootdawg before that. If it was just the piston and cylinder I could have just replaced it and the cams and put in a big bore kit and had a 170cc engine.
But the GZ is a big upgrade to that.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
JohnC

Definitely check the valve adjustment. Don't make them tighter than the minimum, however as that can lead to more trouble than too loose.

Another common source of a ticking noise is an exhaust leak where the pipes attach to the head.