Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-30-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
Bill

Brake lever sticking

My wife mentioned that the brake lever is not operating as smooth as befor. It seems fine about half the way in until it feels rough and rubbing. Should I just spray a lube in the lever? The bike was bought with about 800 miles and now has about 2000+ so it's new. As far as in know it has never been abused or in the weather. What should I check for?

Cheers!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-30-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Badbob

The best way I know is to take the cable off at the bar end and drip oil into the end of the cable until it starts coming out the other end. There are other methods using those cable lube things or plastic bags. and tape. They are messy and don't work any better. I put some oil in shot glass and get a drop at a time out of the glass with one of those tubes that comes with WD40 or other lubes. I pick up a drop and put it on the cable and let it run down the cable. If you get impatient and add it to fast or put to much in there the excess will drip out the other end for awhile and make a mess. If I remember correctly I put in about 10-15 drops and go to another cable or do something else on the bike for awhile.

I'm using real cable lube right now becasue I bought it to use with one of this cable lubing tools that don't work worth a damn. They make a mess and waste a lot oil. When this is used up I'm going to try Break-Free CLP. It's very slick and penetrates like crazy. As far as I can tell it doesn't get sticky like some other lubes do.

Here is a description of how to do the cable lube with the tool or the baggie.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
mrgz250

Re: Brake lever sticking

there is no break cable on the handle bar ut there is a cable on the rear foot break
anyway take a small screwdriver & press the piston in on the master cyclinder & see if the lever is free that way if it is than the master cyclindre has dirt in it needs to be
cleaned out the lever only goes about half way note if thats the case than the calipter needs to be cleaned out also if its the foot break take the the adjuster nut off the rear

tire drum & see if the foot break is easer to press if so than check to see if the cable is easer to pull than check the rear drum lever &see if it pulles & returns somewhat easy

Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
mrgz250

if its the throdle cables than the return cable is out of adjustment ck both of them
Old 07-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
raul10141964

if is the front brake spray some lubricant at the contact point between the lever an the master silinder

Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul10141964
if is the front brake spray some lubricant at the contact point between the lever an the master silinder
That will never work!! It is too easy and simple.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
raul10141964

work for me