Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #81
Sarris

Ammo Cans

I like the scale of the 20mm boxes, but it looks as though they will not fit the GZ with it's upturned exhaust. How much clearance is there between your Saw Boxes and the muffler. Does the box heat up? And approx. how much does each can weigh?

I know this is beating the proverbial DH.

Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #82
Badbob

I'm guessing the SAW boxes weight four pounds.

There is plenty of room for a SAW box.

No heat problems at all. My wife has bags made of some synthetic material that are closer to the exhaust and do not have any heat problems I tink that if it doesn't touch your OK.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #83
D Futch

I used the SAW box on mine and they work very well the size is good and you can put a good amount of stuff in them. pic's on page 5

Old 06-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #84
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
I like the SAW boxes. If you're interested look back thru this thread, I made a custom bracket to mount the ammo cans further toward the back. The SAW boxes conveniently fit a 1 gallon jug of milk with room to spare.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #85
mrlmd1

ammo can saddlebags

Here's the pictures of how I mounted my Saw cans to the GZ saddlebag supports.
I used three J bolts obtained from the local hardware store for each side mounted in a triangle bolted through the inner side of each box around the support. They've been on for about 200 miles, are very solidly attached, and do not rattle at all. The hardware was maybe $3 or so and haven't rusted at all yet and if they ever do, will be real easy and cheap to replace. I sealed it on the inside with polyurethane caulk underneath the washer and nut and they do not leak at all. Cut off the end of the bolt and file it smooth to avoid cutting or scratching anything inside. The end of the bolts and nuts don't take up any significant amount of room inside the can.

Also, the next to last picture shows what I use to secure my helmet on the bike, better than to the chin strap lock - it is with a firearm trigger lock (obtainable for free from most law enforcement agencies, like the local police dept.). Place the helmet on the sissy bar, loop the cable through the chin guard of the helmet and through the sissy bar and no one will steal your helmet unless they cut the cable. The helmet also sits there very nicely and nothing gets scratched, or wet if it rains.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #86
Badbob

I never that of mounting them this way. Of course, I don't have any Suzuki supports. I will be interesting to see how this mounting system holds up.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #87
GodZuki

Here is a thread in another forum that shows how to mount mermite cans on a bike. I hope that I can post links. If not, sorry. I'll re-read the forum rules.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... rmite+cans

My husband is thinking of doing this. A lot bigger than ammo cans. And stock they have three smaller cans in them to store stuff.

GodZuki
Old 07-08-2008, 06:03 AM   #88
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodZuki
Here is a thread in another forum that shows how to mount mermite cans on a bike. I hope that I can post links. If not, sorry. I'll re-read the forum rules.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... rmite+cans

My husband is thinking of doing this. A lot bigger than ammo cans. And stock they have three smaller cans in them to store stuff.

GodZuki
Mermite cans on a GZ250? I'd sure like to see that done.

There are lots of ammo cans that are larger than those we have used on our GZ250s. Some of them may even be larger than a Mermite can.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #89
GodZuki

Sorry, my husband wants to put mermite cans on his KLR. Not my GZ. I have Suzuki bags coming. They were backordered. I think they would be way too big for my little 250.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #90
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodZuki
Sorry, my husband wants to put mermite cans on his KLR. Not my GZ. I have Suzuki bags coming. They were backordered. I think they would be way too big for my little 250.
You could park it in one of them.