jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

That's a good lookin' bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpix View Post
I've been looking at the Star Bolt. Competing with the HD 883. Look nice and good pricing
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/274/16...omparison.aspx

The Bolt is a nice looking bike and has some nice features. The H-D is also a nice bike. I do like the Iron 883 for it's appearance and would likely choose it first if only for the resale value down the road.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #23
Cathy

+1 for SV650

Old 12-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
+1 for SV650
Cathy, do you ever ride up to Squamish for a coffee??
Old 12-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #25
Goose51683

That's a tough choice, they are both good looking bike but as mentioned above the 883 would probably hold it's value better.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
Water Warrior 2

Did a little reading about the new H-D's. They appear to be a better bike than the 883 on paper and likely worth a look when available. The one thing H-D did with the new models is changing the valve train to adjustable valves(read maintenance). All other H-D models have hydraulic lifters and need no periodic maintenance. Just thought I'd mention that in passing.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #27
Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Cathy, do you ever ride up to Squamish for a coffee??
Nope still gotta learn first, some of these post are helped by the boyfriend so I am not that smart. TT_TT he does most of the technical work.

Though he did just take the GZ to Squamish for his Birthday on the 16th, did you spot him ?

On topic: GS500 is cheap as well.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #28
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Nope still gotta learn first, some of these post are helped by the boyfriend so I am not that smart. TT_TT he does most of the technical work.

Though he did just take the GZ to Squamish for his Birthday on the 16th, did you spot him ?

On topic: GS500 is cheap as well.
Only seen a couple bikes in the last few days and a GZ was not one of them. Boyfriend must be tough. The temps have not been rider friendly.

A GS500 is a good bike but not to my liking. It was in the running years ago before I found the Vstrom 650 in a dealership. It was so fugly I had to buy it to give it a home.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
kongjie

I have been thinking about this question for a few months now. I'm waiting until after my taxes are done to see what the damage is. For now I'm considering the following upgrades:

Kawasaki Versys ABS: not my idea of a beautiful bike, but I went to the IMS and took a test ride, and loved it.

Triumph Scrambler: love the looks, but it's heavy, expensive, and lacks ABS.

V-Strom 650 ABS: not quite as ugly as the versys…or is it? Still, a solid machine.

Honda NC700X: again, not my style preference, but a lot of people rave about this bike. Great fuel economy. My issue is that I would like ABS but the only U.S. ABS option on this bike also has DCT and I can't imagine not shifting my bike.

BMW G650 GS 74 mpg and includes ABS. Not sure how this would be as a daily commuter or on a longer tour. And with a BMW my service costs are going to be high, probably. Still, one can dream.

Moto Guzzi V7 Stone: love the way it looks, and reportedly a lot of fun to ride. But the mileage is average, and the price high considering ABS is not an option.

so that's where I stand. The taxman will have the last word…possibly leaving me on my GZ250 for another year LOL.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #30
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongjie View Post
I have been thinking about this question for a few months now. I'm waiting until after my taxes are done to see what the damage is. For now I'm considering the following upgrades:

Kawasaki Versys ABS: not my idea of a beautiful bike, but I went to the IMS and took a test ride, and loved it.

Triumph Scrambler: love the looks, but it's heavy, expensive, and lacks ABS.

V-Strom 650 ABS: not quite as ugly as the versys…or is it? Still, a solid machine.

Honda NC700X: again, not my style preference, but a lot of people rave about this bike. Great fuel economy. My issue is that I would like ABS but the only U.S. ABS option on this bike also has DCT and I can't imagine not shifting my bike.

BMW G650 GS 74 mpg and includes ABS. Not sure how this would be as a daily commuter or on a longer tour. And with a BMW my service costs are going to be high, probably. Still, one can dream.

Moto Guzzi V7 Stone: love the way it looks, and reportedly a lot of fun to ride. But the mileage is average, and the price high considering ABS is not an option.

so that's where I stand. The taxman will have the last word…possibly leaving me on my GZ250 for another year LOL.
Oddly enough I was just reading a comparison(last night) about the Vstrom, Kawasaki and Honda. The Honda was dead last in most categories but it was an auto model. It did rate high in the comfort level though. The Vstrom was the power bike of the 3. Yeah, I like the Vstrom a bunch after having one for 7 years. They are virtually bullet proof and a great bang for the buck. You might also might want to take a good look at the SV 650 by Suzuki. Cheaper than a Vstrom and a bit more powerful by 10 ponies. A low mileage used SV would be an excellent bike and won't break the bank. It has a good power to weight ratio and will provide decent gas economy. There are 2 SV's, one has a fairing and the other is a naked bike. Take your pick.
Right now in Canada the SV is noticeably cheaper than a Vstrom but all Vstroms come with ABS since 2007 in the GWN.