Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Rick

hard shifting

Hey and thanks for reading! I have a 2007 GZ250 purchased just over a week ago. Just yesterday I noticed an intermittent problem with hard shifting (only into higher gears, downshifting is fine). It was only doing it for awhile, and now it seems fine so I'm not sure if this is something I need to check with a shop for. Anyone have any similar experience? Thanks in advance!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Sarris

Hard Shift

Sometimes when my GZ gets real hot and the oil gets a little thinner, mainly when its due for an oil change, it will shift hard. It goes away with a fresh oil change. If it starts to happen often, I'd have it checked.

:2tup:
Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Rick

Thanks for your quick response! That's the first thing I was going to do, since I'm not sure when the previous owner had changed it last. I'll be doing that this weekend.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Hi Rick. Just some food for thought here. Motorcycle specific oils will generally have greater shear strength characteristics to keep the gears happy and healthier in the long run.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Rick

Good to know, thanks. I'll be going to the bike shop later today - I also found a thread on oil brands so I'll be armed with some decent info.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Go ahead and get synthetic. You and your bike will be much happier.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Good to know, thanks. I'll be going to the bike shop later today - I also found a thread on oil brands so I'll be armed with some decent info.
What you described sounds like the clutch was dragging, maybe 'cause you didn't squeeze it hard enough or because it needs some adjustment (too much slack).
Old 07-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
Rick

I actually adjusted the clutch slightly at the handle (where cable meets handle), and it hasn't happened since, but I haven't run it on a long ride since then. The thin oil theory sounds about right too....I'm going to cover all my bases and go ahead and change the oil for peace of mind! Thanks for the help all :2tup:
Old 07-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I actually adjusted the clutch slightly at the handle (where cable meets handle), and it hasn't happened since, but I haven't run it on a long ride since then. The thin oil theory sounds about right too....I'm going to cover all my bases and go ahead and change the oil for peace of mind! Thanks for the help all :2tup:
Did you see the thread on cheap oil filters? There's a link somewhere that you can get the filters for like $2 each (not including S&H) from bikebandit.com.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
Badbob

My 2005 GZ250 shifts hard sometimes and it has nothing to do with needing an oil change or being hot. It will do it with new oil cold or hot. I have run across other GZ250 riders who said they have exactly the same problem. It appears at random and then goes away after a short time only to return..

Switching to synthetic oil all but eliminated the issue. It still does it but the synthetic oil made such a dramatic difference that its hardly noticeable any more. I used automotive synthetics for thousands of miles and only recently switched to Mobile1 V-Twin because I could not get oil without friction modifiers.

As my GZ250 gets more miles on it it happens less often so I'm betting that something just doesn't fit quite right is wearing in.