Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-26-2016, 11:20 PM   #11
5th_bike

I figure your vacuum hose has no air leaks? If so, it could stop the gas from going to the carb when it idles.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-27-2016, 12:19 AM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike View Post
I figure your vacuum hose has no air leaks? If so, it could stop the gas from going to the carb when it idles.
You just had a senior moment. LOL. No air leaks should be air leaks. That would be a possibility. Also there could be a small pin hole in the diaphram of the fuel switch that only shows up at idle. Either one or both could be the problem(s).

Try running the bike in the prime position and relate the results please. There is no vacuum needed in the prime position.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #13
5th_bike

Nah, I meant to say that, just maybe expressed it a bit clumsily.

Should have said "Did you make sure your vacuum hose has no air leaks?".

Old 03-27-2016, 12:06 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike View Post
Nah, I meant to say that, just maybe expressed it a bit clumsily.

Should have said "Did you make sure your vacuum hose has no air leaks?".
Heh heh, and I read it clumsily.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #15
PSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
You just had a senior moment. LOL. No air leaks should be air leaks. That would be a possibility. Also there could be a small pin hole in the diaphram of the fuel switch that only shows up at idle. Either one or both could be the problem(s).

Try running the bike in the prime position and relate the results please. There is no vacuum needed in the prime position.

Yes I've tried that and it still happens. I have triple checked for all air leaks and did several test on the petcock to make sure it's working correctly. That's why this is so frustrating because all the usual culprits have been ruled out.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Long shot but just maybe the vent in the gas cap is partially plugged and causing a vacuum to build up in the tank. This has been known to happen and it stops fuel flow. Release the cap after the bike quits. Try to start it again and see if there is any change.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #17
PSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Long shot but just maybe the vent in the gas cap is partially plugged and causing a vacuum to build up in the tank. This has been known to happen and it stops fuel flow. Release the cap after the bike quits. Try to start it again and see if there is any change.

Wouldn't have thought of that, thanks Ill try that today.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #18
PSM

So I checked on the gas cap theory and it was a no go. Still no clue as to what's wrong. Today I even went as far as to take apart the on/off and start switch assembly and clean all the contacts but didn't help things either?
Old 11-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #19
tunil

did you ever find the cause of your issue? im having the EXACT same issue with an 02 gz250
Old 05-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #20
Glewis950@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Hello I have a 2000 gz250 with 15,364 miles that's driving me crazy lol. I've been working on my own bikes for as long as I can remember so I know a bit about fixing these things. Soon as the engine gets warm it won't idle for more then 10-15 seconds. It will idle hi or normal and then just gets slower and slower till it dies. It starts right up but the more it dies the harder it gets to restart. I've cleaned the carb a dozen times at this point and made sure the pilot jet is perfectly clean. So I know that's not the problem and I've sprayed carb cleaner all over the place will engine's running with no results so I know there's no air leaks. I've also check the petcock to make sure it's working right and it is. So what am I missing? I can't think of anything else that would cause this. Usually I clean the carb or replace a leaky hose and it fixes the problem every time know matter what bike i'm working on but this time no such luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk