Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #31
5th_bike

Hooray, I got it up to 74 mph today, my previous record speed was 72 !
:rawk:

And I know there is more in it, I just ran out of road before the climb...

It's totally stock and has 2600 miles now.

By the way, does any of the experts here know the effect of valve settings on speed ? I'm looking for advice Ã* la "Set the inlet valves narrow, and the outlet valves in the middle, that will give you the best power at high revs"... And, is there any way to adjust ignition timing ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #32
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
Hooray, I got it up to 74 mph today, my previous record speed was 72 !
I bet even if you modded the GZ out, you wouldn't get more than 85.

You should probably buy a Ducati.

:lol:
Old 08-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #33
Easy Rider

Quote:
By the way, does any of the experts here know the effect of valve settings on speed ?
Right to the point: Forget it. Damage is likely and improvement is absolutely, totally not likely.

If you are reading a hot-rod car magazine and see things like that, they are most likely talking about making minute changes to the cam angle and duration.....NOT the basic valve lash setting.

If you have a 600 HP engine and can tweek another 1%, that gets you an additional 6 HP.
If you start with a 15 HP engine, that extra 1% gets you..........ready....... .15 HP.
That's 15 HUNDRETHS of one horse power.

The timing answer is the same. Don't mess with it. It is set and controlled electronically.

Bottom line: Be happy with what you have and if/when it just really doesn't have enoug power for you........sell it and get a different bike.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:19 AM   #34
5th_bike

OK I got it, if it works don't mess with it. And it works great !
It has enough power too, and as long as this bikes gives me smiles, I'll happily ride it. But my speed goal is to reach 75 mph one day, that's 120 kmh.

A Ducati well I'd like to have one, just can't afford it, buying nor maintaining. If ever I get rid of the GZ250, or get a second bike, it would probably be a Moto Guzzi.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #35
Easy Rider

Quote:
But my speed goal is to reach 75 mph one day, that's 120 kmh.
If you have a stock bike, I think that's well within it's capability. Lots of others have reported that; some even 80 occasionally. I'm thinking you need a windshield or need to lay down on the tank and bring your feet up on the passenger pegs to accomplish it though.

I would NOT recommend pushing it that hard until it is well broken in, however. Maybe after 1,000 miles ???

Old 08-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #36
john1096

I haven't topped out yet. I hit 70+ (indicated) on slight incline and had to back off because of traffic. Still had a little left, for sure. I'm stupid enough to go that fast, but not stupid enough to try to pass with almost nothing left.

We need tachs! That may be the first mod. I've read that there definitely is and that there definitely is not a rev limiter on these bikes. I really don't know.

BTW, I'm running completely stock.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #37
Planet D

Top Speed

Hi. I recently acquired my GZ 250. Had 11,000 KM o the odometer when I bought is in May. It now has about 13,000KM. The top speed I've achieved wad 138KM or 85 mph. that was with a bit of a hill. The bike is stock. I did just replace the spark plug. This is really a great bike for commuting, I just wish that it had a bit more grunt at the top end.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #38
aesoprock00

Re: GZ Top Speed

i got my GZ up to 70 today on flat highway (which we don't have too much of around here). It definitely had a little bit of throttle left and could have gone higher if i tried. It was my first time on the highway or I might have tried pushing a little more. i'm sure I will in time. ducking behind the windshield made it a nice quiet ride. very smooth.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #39
Sarris

I've had mine to 72 mph w/ a 16 tooth sprocket, no wind, a level road, a new spark plug, and my fat ass aboard. I've found that my bike is actually faster with the throttle backed off a hair from full twist. Mine likes 55 to 60 mph best.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #40
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

After I dropped my bike in my mom's driveway trying to avoid her bewitched dog, I picked up 5 mph on the top end and the bike runs smoother through all gears. I don't know what got banged around in there. I had no visibile outside damage but I swear to you the bike runs much better now.

So, if you want to pick up some on the top end, drop your bike in gravel.

It's scientifically proven.