Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
dhgeyer

Re: Enjoying life and my new GZ250!

Welcome to the forum SuziQ!

I grew up in East Aurora, outside of Buffalo. I still have a lot of ties there, and go out often. As a matter of fact, I just got back from a ride to Buffalo and back last Saturday. I rode out the Thruway, but came back Rt. 20 through Auburn. Oh, I live in New Hampshire now. I went out to visit the in-laws, but that was really just an excuse for a long ride in that exquisite weather we had a week ago. I may ride out there again this week if the weather we're having now holds. I'll wave as I go by on the Thruway.

I don't do all this on a GZ250, although I do still have one. I do the long rides on the BMW R1200R.

Anyway, good to have you on the forum. You can learn an awful lot here, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
burkbuilds

Welcome to the forum, your GZ looks brand new in the picture, very nice.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:49 AM   #13
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ07
my Dad is also coming over to my house to try and make some adjustments to the foot brake...it's in such a strange position for my liking.
It's great that you've realised this. A LOT of riders leave the pedal where it is, & adjust their foot. Completely wrong.

The pedal adjustment is quite easy. There's a bolt (with a locknut) under the pedal. Adjust this to get the pedal in the right position - not forgetting that you'll have to adjust the nut on the brake lever (at the back wheel) at the same time. When you get it set up to your liking, you'll have to adjust the brake light switch, by twisting the barrel of the switch (under the bike) Like I said, 10 minutes & it's done. :2tup:

BTW, I should have mentioned that the brake pedal should be adjusted until it's JUST under your foot when you're in a comfortable riding position. Let your dad adjust it, then go for a 5 minute ride. When you get back he may have to "fine tune" it to get it spot on for you.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
SuziQ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ07
my Dad is also coming over to my house to try and make some adjustments to the foot brake...it's in such a strange position for my liking.
It's great that you've realised this. A LOT of riders leave the pedal where it is, & adjust their foot. Completely wrong.

The pedal adjustment is quite easy. There's a bolt (with a locknut) under the pedal. Adjust this to get the pedal in the right position - not forgetting that you'll have to adjust the nut on the brake lever (at the back wheel) at the same time. When you get it set up to your liking, you'll have to adjust the brake light switch, by twisting the barrel of the switch (under the bike) Like I said, 10 minutes & it's done. :2tup:

BTW, I should have mentioned that the brake pedal should be adjusted until it's JUST under your foot when you're in a comfortable riding position. Let your dad adjust it, then go for a 5 minute ride. When you get back he may have to "fine tune" it to get it spot on for you.
What you are saying makes perfect sense...thanks for the advice. I realized when I first got the bike that I would have to lift my foot up and over to hit the brake and that just seemed weird! My dad made the adjustment (based on directions in an old forum discussion I found on here) and it's so natural to me now. With the old position I would have to look down to find the pedal and we know that's not good at all!! I'm so glad that fix was made as I was really worried about it and if I would be able to ride the bike. :2tup:
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
SuziQ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
Welcome to the forum, your GZ looks brand new in the picture, very nice.
I actually photographed my Suzi's better side. :tongue: Her other side has some minor damage from the previous owner...a small dent in the tank probably from the handlebar and some missing paint on the front fender. I'm already planning some repair work for this fall after I spend the summer riding. I at least want to either have the front fender re-painted or order a brand new one. Thanks for the compliment however!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #16
bonehead

Welcome, and enjoy the insanity!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #17
blaine

You may also need to adjust gear shift to feel comfortable.Make sure brake lite is comming on as soon as you put weight on pedel. GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Check out New Enough for some riding gear. Their closeout section has some good deals in leather, textile and mesh. Get pants and a jacket, gloves at almost nothing compared to usual suggested prices. A very good return policy too if you need it.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #19
SuziQ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Check out New Enough for some riding gear. Their closeout section has some good deals in leather, textile and mesh. Get pants and a jacket, gloves at almost nothing compared to usual suggested prices. A very good return policy too if you need it.
Good to know Water...thanks for the great tip! I'll check it out for sure.