Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
SuziQ07

Enjoying life and my new GZ250!

Hello! My name is Jolie...just bought my first motorcycle ever a week or so ago. It was a used 2007 with about 900 miles on it. So far I've been practicing my starts and stops and riding around parking lots in first gear. I'm signed up to take the motorcycle safety class at our local community college in early July...I'm really looking forward to learning some new skills and it's so important to me that I pass and get my license. I'm so glad to have found this forum...it's so helpful!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Enjoying life and my new GZ250!

HI.Welcome to the fourm.Buy yourself some good gear to protect yourself.Lots of practace.Be safe,you will enjoy your bike.It will give you many miles of enjoyment.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
SuziQ07

Thanks...I'm really looking forward to many miles of enjoyment. I did buy a 3/4 Gmax helmet with windshield, safety sunglasses, Harley leather gloves, and tall black Harley boots. I need to do some more shopping and looking around for a good quality leather jacket and maybe chaps down the road. The ladies leather jackets all seem to have really long sleeves...I need to find a short length or have something altered. I'm really glad I settled on the GZ250 after looking at the Yamaha Virago and the Honda Rebel!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Don't discount the textile jackets as well. Some of the quality ones are Kevlar lined and have as much skid resistance as a lot of leather on the market. You get what you pay for though, in both textile and leather products.

Very nice looking bike. Practice up and work regularly in parking lots for slow-speed and balance stuff. Trust me, working with and knowing the feel of the bike can save your life down the road.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Suze,

I got my wife a spyder jacket that is quite small. Wasn't cheap mind you, but it's quite small.

Glad to have you on the forum! Keep up the practice - build good habits now and they'll stick with you.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
SuziQ07

Thanks for all the supportive advice. Great ideas regarding the alternatives to leather...I need to do some more looking around. Today I'm going to enjoy the sun in NY and try to clean my little Suzie up a bit more...my Dad is also coming over to my house to try and make some adjustments to the foot brake...it's in such a strange position for my liking.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
ruxpin76

I'm originally from Ithaca (Dryden, actually) and my dad now lives in Auburn...take advantage of the (relatively) short riding season, and perhaps you can extend it with good colder weather gear. Taking the MSF course at OCC or elsewhere?

It would be a long ride for me to get up there with my GZ on the backroads, but Upstate sure has some nice riding -- riding the Finger Lakes would be quite enjoyable. A nice ride around Skaneateles would be fun as well... Enjoy your GZ! Cheers,

~Ted
Old 04-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
SuziQ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpin76
I'm originally from Ithaca (Dryden, actually) and my dad now lives in Auburn...take advantage of the (relatively) short riding season, and perhaps you can extend it with good colder weather gear. Taking the MSF course at OCC or elsewhere?

It would be a long ride for me to get up there with my GZ on the backroads, but Upstate sure has some nice riding -- riding the Finger Lakes would be quite enjoyable. A nice ride around Skaneateles would be fun as well... Enjoy your GZ! Cheers,

~Ted
Hi Ted,
Oh yes, Ithaca...I love it down there...especially The Commons. I'm actually in Auburn often as I have relatives that work at CCC. I am signed up to take the class at OCC this summer in early July...I can't wait...I'm a teacher so as soon as school gets out for the year I'll gear up for the class. I live for the day I can ride around Skaneateles Lake on the backroads.
Thanks for your kind words.
-Jolie
Old 04-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

I lived in Ithaca for seven years and my wife is from Auburn. Lots of great motorcycle roads threaded in and around the Finger Lakes. Too bad the riding season is relatively short.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
mole2

Welcome to the forum. Since you're going to take the course in July and they require at least a long sleeve shirt why don't you look into a mesh jacket to start with. When it starts to get colder you can purchase a leather jacket or textile jacket (I bought both). The mesh with armour will protect you and be a cooler option.

I lived in NY for 58 years but quite a ways from you - on Long Island to be specific. It's a great state but it's very expensive - at least on LI it was. I moved to SC and I'm loving every minute of it. :2tup: