Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-30-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
Badbob

You must replace the flasher if you replace the turn signals with LEDs. Watch out for solutions that simply add more current load to make the existing flasher work with LEDs. You don't gain much doing this. What I want out of LED Lighting is to free up power for other things like heated grips.

Every time I look at LED lighting I find new stuff. In ten years they are going to replace just about all the incandescent lighting.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #12
Badbob

This place looks promising. Lots of bulb replacements as well as what appear to be electronic flashers. Looks like you could change out everything except the headlight for around $65.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Old 03-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
Badbob

GZ250 flashers are not a standard two or three wire flasher. Changing it would require modifying the wiring and may not be reversible. I'm still looking into this.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #14
Badbob

Roll Your Own LED Lighting

A few discussions I have found on the subject. You may need to join the forum to see the images.

[url=http://tinyurl.com/23o4uj] Need Help Designing LED Tail/Brake Light[\url]
Luxeon III Tailight Retrofit
LED's and Sequence Flasher mixed with some other functions?
Dual brilliance motor-cycle tail light.
LED Tail light Schematic
Flash Flash Flash and Steady On Flasher

For those who are electrically challenged please not that electrically speaking there is very little difference between motorcycle and auto lighting. When searching for lighting information do not limit your search to motorcycles.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
keep us updated. I'll be doing some investigation into this myself. (once I get my GZ250 that is!) I replaced all incadescents in my car with LEDS except the headlights. had a bulb burn out that was a pain in the ass to get to. I didn't want to do it again so I changed everything to LEDs.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #16
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
keep us updated. I'll be doing some investigation into this myself. (once I get my GZ250 that is!) I replaced all incadescents in my car with LEDS except the headlights. had a bulb burn out that was a pain in the ass to get to. I didn't want to do it again so I changed everything to LEDs.
I fully intend to keep this up dated.

I picked up four trailer clearance lights the other day cheap with the intention of mounting them on my panniers. one pair as running lights and one as additional brake lights. I haven't found the electrical connectors I want yet. I want connectors that are water resistant and easily removed. 3M makes one that I think will work well but I can only find the female ones locally. I've been everywhere I can think of in my area but no luck yet.

Next the brake light gets changed to LED. Prices are getting low enough on the better bulb replacements so a bout ready to jump on that.

After the brake lights I'm going to tackle the turn signals. The flasher may work as is. It looks to be an electronic solid state flasher. I'm hoping this this is the case so it will simply be a matter of selecting appropriate LED replacements. If this is not the case then I get to rewire for an after market flasher.

Switch to and HID headlight to get even more power savings.

Then add some running lights. White LEDs for the front. They don't use much power so either some very bright LEDs or maybe four or more not so bright. I don't know if I can get them anywhere near as bright as halogen bulbs but their are LED headlights in the works.

Replace side reflectors with LEDs. The they can see them in the dark with their head lights out.

The point of all this is to not only really light up the bike for safety and get the reliability of LEDs but lower the power consumption as low as possible so I can add things like heated grips for those few cold days we get here in Tallahassee.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:09 AM   #17
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
LOL, forgive me for laughing. Being from Michigan/Northern Ohio I don't exactlly equate Tallahassee with cold. Sounds like you've got some interesting ideas. I look forward to reading about your progress.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:14 PM   #18
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Heres something interesting to do with LEDs ... (i put 4 purple ones in my Hypercharger). When the butterflies open/close with the throttle ... the light output dims/brightens :cool:

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 06-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #19
Badbob

I've never seen that before. Did you dream that up your self?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #20
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
Heres something interesting to do with LEDs ... (i put 4 purple ones in my Hypercharger). When the butterflies open/close with the throttle ... the light output dims/brightens :cool:
Way cool, however..........
You may not like them so much if you meet a Cop having a bad day and he tickets you for having a blue light visible from the front!