Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 11-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
Badbob

LED Lighting

Is anyone messing around with LED lighting on their GZ250?

Anyone interested in this sort of thing?

I want to add some additional lighting to my bikes as well as replace as many of the lights as I can with LEDs. They are much more durable, use very little power, and can be much much brighter than conventional turn signals and running lights. I know there are lots of companies out there that will sell me very expensive solutions for this like $95 brake light replacement. This is not what I'm looking for.

I was an electronics technician for 20 years. I can read schematics, use test equipment, and do precision soldering. I also have tools I know how to use. Making my own LED lighting or modifying something to work is not out of the question.

For example, I was in WalMart today and saw a small LED light that was designed to plug into a cigarette lighter that could easily be modified to work on a bike. The only real problem I saw with it was that it was bright yellow.

If any of you have done anything like this or knows of someone else who has rolled their own I would sure like to know about it.

If you have any ideas post them here and lets discuss it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Only thing i did on the GZ was add some red LEDs under the chrome covers on the engine to light up the heads. I was going to get some LED bulb replacements off ebay (which really arent that much if you can find the guys who sell cheap). I want to replace the signals on my shadow with LEDs and will probably take that route (replacement LED bulbs).

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 11-11-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
Bill

Try a search at VolusiaRiders.com. It seems to me there was a fair amount of discussion on LED lighting there. I'm totally in a fog about anything electrical but it seems like there are quite a few folks at that forum that could help.

Cheers!

Old 11-12-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Try a search at VolusiaRiders.com. It seems to me there was a fair amount of discussion on LED lighting there. I'm totally in a fog about anything electrical but it seems like there are quite a few folks at that forum that could help.
Thanks Bill I'm going to give them a look. I probably need to check out some of the KLR forums as well. Those guys are pretty creative. I saw one the other day with fuel cell mounted on the luggage rack so he could increase the range. Like 400 miles wasn't enough.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
oneyunguy

Why yes, I have, and I do! I purchased around 50 Blue leds (5000MCd brightness) direct from Hong Kong off of Ebay for super cheap. I have used them for many things, even the bike. I wanted to "light up" the engine bay and wondered for sometime how to do it. I had some ABS strips lying around and thought they would work well. I ran them down a table saw to make a channel up the middle to run the wiring, and drilled holes to poke the LEDs through, 4 per side. I then took a small swith and mounted it to a small square of thin ABS, and attached to a screw holes on the frame that werent populated.
It gives off a nice glow to the engine (the photos dont do it justice) , as well as on the road right around where the front tire meets the road.

Next, I want to change the rear brake light to brighter leds, possibly white behind the red lens. Then, I want to to accent the bike some more with more LED's and use a remote to be able to turn them on and off at will.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:21 PM   #6
oneyunguy

My two EBAY favorites. Ultra fast shipping to my door from China!

http://stores.ebay.ca/LCK-LED-LIGHTING- ... esstQQtZkm
http://stores.ebay.ca/Hkemart_W0QQssPag ... esstQQtZkm
Old 11-16-2006, 04:00 AM   #7
Badbob

The blue LEDs look great. Thanks for the links. Looks like a good source.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:23 PM   #8
Dupo

Theres always this place too

http://www.customdynamics.com/index.htm

I just wired red LEDs along the chrome engine covers with some zip ties. Worked great on the bike. Didnt go too nuts, 2 per side. Nice glow but not to overbearing. My next venture is to get one of those kits on ebay that fade and change colors for the shadow

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 12-30-2006, 12:38 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Dupo, replacing your regular signal bulbs with LED's may not work. If the signal flasher is not an electronic flasher or reasonable facsimilie then there will not be a load to make it function. What # is the bulb in the signal and the wattage ???
Old 12-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
Dupo

Not sure of the part number for your turn signals. But i do know they make direct replacement LED bulbs. Going to get some for my spirit in the spring actually.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook