Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 04-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
music man

Re: Texas helmet law proof of motorcycle medical insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
When I was active duty, if you rode a bike you had to at least wear a helmet at all times no matter the state law. It was was an air force regulation. And that was on or off base.

My nephew is in the Army and I am pretty sure when I sold him my bike, he told me the same thing, that he had to wear a helmet at all times.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
dentheman

I stand corrected. Being retired I guess I am not that up on all the military regs as I was, for active duty. I can understand requiring helmets, but armored jackets seems a bit much. I do remember that years ago military motorcyclists at Reese AFB would stop once off-base to remove their helmets before continuing to town.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENTHEMAN
I stand corrected. Being retired I guess I am not that up on all the military regs as I was, for active duty. I can understand requiring helmets, but armored jackets seems a bit much. I do remember that years ago military motorcyclists at Reese AFB would stop once off-base to remove their helmets before continuing to town.
Know B/Gen Richard Hearne?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENTHEMAN
Know B/Gen Richard Hearne?
I know of him, but I was stationed elsewhere when he was Commander at Reese.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #15
bonehead

Small world. Family friends for 45+ years.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #16
magnum44270

active duty airforce currently has to wear
1 . approved DOT helmet
2. eye protection (glasses, helmet face shield)
3. long sleves
4. reflective vest
5. gloves
6. pants
7. boots
Old 05-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #17
magnum44270

that is on and off base............ and anyone comming onto the base on a motorcycle has to have the same. no matter what status (active, retired, civ)
Old 05-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #18
dentheman

Maybe I got a little too involved including active duty and on-base riding since I am retired and live about 150 miles from the nearest base.

So, to restate my case: I will be riding on Texas roads with health insurance that covers me when riding a motorcycle even without wearing a helmet (according to Tri-Care they follow state law for retirees). The point is, Texas is requiring a special proof of MOTORCYCLE health insurance when Tri-Care doesn't issue any kind of 'proof of insurance' card to retirees. My military retiree ID card serves the purpose of the proof of health insurance, but it doesn't state anywhere that it is proof of health insurance, and certainly doesn't state it is proof of MOTORCYCLE health insurance.

By the way, I will wear a helmet, I just think this Texas law is silly, and unenforceable. Law enforcement cannot stop a motorcycle to check if the driver or passenger have motorcycle health insurance cards. It can only be done if stopped for some other reason. The old system of having a 'no helmet' sticker on the license plate made more sense.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #19
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
By the way, I will wear a helmet, I just think this Texas law is silly, and unenforceable. Law enforcement cannot stop a motorcycle to check if the driver or passenger have motorcycle health insurance cards. It can only be done if stopped for some other reason.

I wouldn't bet on that, they just past a law here in Arkansas (and other states as well I believe) that says that you can be wrote a ticket for smoking a cigarette in your vehicle if you have a child under 6 years old in your car. They are going to be stopping people that they see over the next few months to "warn" them that they will be wrote a ticket next time they get caught. So that means they are just going to be pulling over people for smoking in their car, and to verify how old there kids are? So stopping you to see if you have a motorcycle health insurance card is not that much of a stretch.

These are all just ploys the police use to have "probable cause" to pull you over anytime day or night. Just like when they past the law that they have to ask you to search your vehicle, but if you say no, that in itself is "probable cause" for them to legally search it, because only someone hiding something would refuse to let a cop pilfer through their personal property right?
Old 05-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #20
dentheman

The law specifically states a stop cannot be made to check for this insurance. But if stopped for some other reason then it can be checked. I'll just have to wait and see how that works.