Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
burkbuilds

Re: 600 mile service check

I can't say for the GZ, but I just had my 500 mile "break in" service performed at my local dealer for my Kawasaki Vulcan 500, they charged me $21 for oil and filter (it takes 3 qts of oil) and $45 labor for the service and checking everything out. I also had them install a new front sprocket to help my highway mileage numbers and they charged $25 for the sprocket and $45 to install it. I was really pleased with the price and promptness of the service, dropped the bike off this morning and got her back this afternoon!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
I was really pleased with the price and promptness of the service, dropped the bike off this morning and got her back this afternoon!
I'd say that's an understatement!!
From this, I assume that the valves don't have to be checked.....ever ??
That's usually the expensive part.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
burkbuilds

The service manager told me that the valves wouldn't be fully "seated" until it had over 1000 miles on it so it was pointless to adjust them this soon since they'd have to be done again once I had 1000 miles on it.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #14
Tranquility

I was pleasantly surprised with the service, friendliness, thoroughness ... but the price was way more than I expected ... about $225 (90% of it being labor). But oh does she purr like a kitten. :-) Very glad to have my baby back.

If I don't log in again for a couple days, everybody have a mellow, safe Memorial Day! Find a Vet run!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
The service manager told me that the valves wouldn't be fully "seated" until it had over 1000 miles on it so it was pointless to adjust them this soon since they'd have to be done again once I had 1000 miles on it.
OK, but what does the Owner's manual say?

It is not unusual for the "service manager", who incidentally often isn't even a qualified mechanic, to "know" more than the company that MADE the bike. :roll:

But this way, they get you IN the shop again in another 4-600 miles or so when otherwise it would be 3-4000. Hmmmm........I think he knows how to take more of your money for sure.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #16
burkbuilds

The manual does say to have them "checked" at 500 miles and the next scheduled "check" is at 6000 miles and then every 6000 miles thereafter. However, I think he's got a good point in saying that they aren't seated fully yet. I'd rather check them at 1000 and then adjust as needed then. If they are still in specs at 1000 I'll be amazed. If I had them set now, I'd probably want to have them checked again between 1000 and 1500 just to feel safe about it. I'd rather put another 500 on it now, check and adjust them at 1000 and not be concerned about the next 5000 miles after that. I did talk to one owner who had his "adjusted" at the 500 mile check up and he had to have them done over at about 1200 miles, so I think the service manager gave me some good advice on this one. I also talked with my friend Jim who taught for 5 years at a motorcycle mechanic school in Florida and he told me to wait till I had 1000 miles on it and he'd teach me how to do the valves on this bike too. He taught me how to do the GZ when I had it and I'm really glad he did. The biggest difference on this bike is probably in getting the tank off to access the valves, the GZ was very simple in that aspect. I think this one has a few more things to deal with the speedometer being part of the tank and all, maybe a few more things to disconnect and re-connect. Besides, at the rate I'm riding I'll be there in another 1 1/2 to 2 weeks anyway.

Hope you have a happy memorial day Easy, thanks for all your input!
Old 05-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
If they are still in specs at 1000 I'll be amazed.

I did talk to one owner who had his "adjusted" at the 500 mile check up and he had to have them done over at about 1200 miles,

Hope you have a happy memorial day Easy, thanks for all your input!
I'd be real interested to know the results....IF you do it yourself or have someone other than a "stealer" do it. Metalurgy and oil engineering has improved a LOT in the last 30 years or so and a lot of owners who do their own valves report that they are still in spec. after 10,000 miles or so. It might depend a lot on the model, I guess.

Consider this: About 2/3 of the cost (read that profit) of the valve "check" is in the actual adjustment. If an adjustment is not needed, the process is relatively easy and the fewer the number of valves the more that is true. It doesn't surprise me at all that bikes taken into SOME dealers for a valve check will require adjustment EVERY time !!!

OTOH, maybe I am a little too suspicious. :roll:

Holiday has been ho-hum so far.
Good news: Wife is out of town.
Springfield Mile is today.

Bad news: Possible rain in the forecast but I REALLY am up for the 100 mile road trip. Guess that's what I have a rain suit for.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #18
burkbuilds

Have a great ride, rain or shine!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
Have a great ride, rain or shine!
Thanks. I did.....sort of.
Great ride over; overcast so not too hot.
Fantastic races. 450 singles and the 750 nationals.
Caught a little shower on the way back but rode through it and only got my pant legs wet; dry by the time I got home.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
burkbuilds

Sounds like a good day, I've spent the entire weekend at my desk doing Physics. Finished three tests yesterday, got one more to do in Physics today and then a Pre-Cal test that's due in the morning so I guess I'm here for the duration. I was kinda hoping to work on customizing my seat today but that's not looking very likely unless I just really get my brain in gear and blow through all this paperwork. Oh well, another day.