Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #21
burkbuilds

Re: Engine oil level goes down

I wouldn't be surprised if you are just seeing the "break in" period on your bike. A lot of motors tend to burn a little oil when new or newly rebuilt until the rings and valves seat. Keep an eye on your oil levels and you may see that you will start to use less oil over the next couple thousand miles. I'd also recommend that you have your valves checked and adjusted. My GZ needed that done pretty regularly about every 4-5000 miles. I always used Suzuki's synthetic oil in my GZ except for one time. That time it burned oil but when I used the synthetic I never had a problem with it burning oil. My bike already had about 1200 miles on it when I bought it so it was probably already "broken in". Maybe you might give the synthetic a try if you continue to see oil consumption and see if it makes a difference. I know the synthetic is more expensive but the GZ doesn't take much more than a QT at oil change time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #22
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
I wouldn't be surprised if you are just seeing the "break in" period on your bike.
And I wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't get enough IN it in the first place.

I suspect that you will see little or no useage going forward.

Valves will probably be fine until then next oil change; don't let it go too far though.

You (everybody) should really get in the habit of checking the basics when someone else does the service......BEFORE you ride it off. Even seasoned mechanics sometimes make really DUMB mistakes.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #23
dannylightning

i just want to add that i bought my 03 gz used, changed the oil when i got it put about 2500 miles on it and i have never had to add any oil, its still full only had 1900 miles on it when i got it. i don't ride it hard in general but there is the occasional start out in first and give it hell threw all the gears.

i did read once that on a new or rebuilt motor do not use synthetic for the first few thousand miles or the seals will not properly set.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
i just want to add that i bought my 03 gz used, changed the oil when i got it put about 2500 miles on it and i have never had to add any oil, its still full only had 1900 miles on it when i got it. i don't ride it hard in general but there is the occasional start out in first and give it hell threw all the gears.

i did read once that on a new or rebuilt motor do not use synthetic for the first few thousand miles or the seals will not properly set.
Don't be afraid of synthetic oils. When Lynda got her GZ I put in Amsoil at the first change. It always ran strong and reliably. No excessive oil consumption and the tranny was smooth as well. My Vstrom got the same treatment, works great.
Years ago synthetics got a bad rap due to sneaking past seals etc. Seals have been much improved over the years so never fear the old wives tales. My Ranger 4x4 is all Amsoil except for the engine, not a leak or any seepage anywhere.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #25
dwh367

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
I'd also recommend that you have your valves checked and adjusted. My GZ needed that done pretty regularly about every 4-5000 miles.
The dealership I bought my bike from is so diversified (motorcycles/ATVs/scooters/boats/trucking company/manlift company/etc.) that I don't trust them to do anything more than basic maintenance. I'm afraid their mechanic would be a jack of all trades and master of none. As stated in my original post, he didn't even do everything he was supposed to on the 600 mile service.

That being said, I talked to the dealership that maintains the bikes for the local MSF safety courses, which is 60 miles away. They said they would be happy to check the valves but it would have to be left there overnight so the engine would definitely be cold in order to do it correctly.

I'll rent a motel room so I don't have to ask someone to make a couple of 120 mile round trips to come get me and then take me back. I plan on scheduling my next service with them so I can get that taken care of.

Quote:
Maybe you might give the synthetic a try if you continue to see oil consumption and see if it makes a difference. I know the synthetic is more expensive but the GZ doesn't take much more than a QT at oil change time.
I plan to do that also. If nothing else, just for the peace of mind. I just wanted to wait until the first full service to make sure everything was broken in correctly first. Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #26
New GZ250

I took my bike down as they opened, they started working on the bike early afternoon. Done late in the afternoon.
Work something out with the dealer. If you have to get down there before they open, to give the bike enough time to cool do it Bring a good book, save a buck!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #27
dwh367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
And I wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't get enough IN it in the first place.
I wouldn't either. See my previous post about how much other stuff that particular dealer is into.

Quote:
You (everybody) should really get in the habit of checking the basics when someone else does the service......BEFORE you ride it off. Even seasoned mechanics sometimes make really DUMB mistakes.
The basics is about all I'd be able to check as my mechanical knowledge is almost nil. I don't trust myself do any type of mechanical work on the bike. It would be my luck that I would try to do preventive maintenance and it would end up being the cause of a breakdown. I can lube the chain though. I did that last week. LOL.

Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #28
dwh367

Quote:
Originally Posted by New GZ250
I took my bike down as they opened, they started working on the bike early afternoon. Done late in the afternoon.
Work something out with the dealer. If you have to get down there before they open, to give the bike enough time to cool do it Bring a good book, save a buck!
Thanks! I'll see what I can work out with them when the time comes.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #29
GZ250

Just amazed that this thread is still alive - for oil consumption or as i said in the topic "engine oil level goes down". It still happens with my bike. I have more than 22k miles and even after valve adjustment oil level goes down and now I use the Rotella T and same thing happens. the oil level goes down and i have to add more oil.

I don't care now for this as bike is working properly and adding fresh oil between oil changes if not good is not bad either. i don't keep the mileage record anymore but i have to add some oil after every 800 miles.