Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 07-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
RichInFla

Jacket Recommendations ??

I've been looking for a lightweight, mesh jacket, since I'll be riding during the day for work in the sweltering heat of Florida. I've narrowed it down to the FirstGear Mesh-Tex and the Teknic Supermesh. This is based on articles I've read online and what not.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a lightweight, breathable jacket ? Leather would just be too dang hot during the day.

Thanks,
Rich

p/s: Went out for my first real ride this weekend. After about 10 miles, felt really better about being on the bike (we kind of bonded !!). After that, the next 30 miles felt really good as far as handling, braking, etc...Still need more practice, but I feel a whole lot more confident riding it now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
LilNinja77

Ok, not trying to be an a$$ or anything, but you say you JUST went for your first real ride yet already know if leather will be too hot or not? Eh, never mind. I won't do my whole preaching thing, everyone ride their own ride.

Just make sure your jacket fits well, that's really the most important thing.......though with mesh I'm not even sure about that. Take a fall and it won't really matter if it had fit properly. A riding buddy of mine has the FirstGear one you mentioned and it *seems* to be of reasonably good quality FWIW. I don't have any personal experience with Teknic gear.

If you're looking for lightweight breathable protection, you could look in to the under-style armor that you wear under your regular clothes if that would be a viable option. Several of the major gear-makers have this (Alpinestars, Thor, Teknic, etc) and I think the most well known one would be the Bohn under-armor (there are pants and shirts). Honestly this would probably give you the same amount of protection as a mesh jacket will, they are essentially the same thing; one is meant for under and one is meant for over.

Eh, hope this was somewhat useful
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 07-28-2008, 02:59 AM   #3
Orpheus

I was under the impression that the only mesh jackets that provided the same protection as leather were pretty much the same as wearing leather (as far as heat retention and such). I was going to look into mesh jackets for the summer, but was told that leather was about the same, as long as it didn't have a liner. Am I wrong about this?

Old 07-28-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Perforated leather is cool like mesh, but with abrasion-resistance about equal to a full textile jacket (ergo, not as good as thick road-leathers). There are, however, more expensive mesh and textile jackets lined with Kevlar and other very abrasive-resistant and much lighter materials. Some of these have rated abrasion tests as long or longer than some common leathers, but like I said, they are expensive.

Some here have a very strict "all-leather-all-the-time" mentality and will always deny the plausibility of mesh gear, but seriously, if your choice is between wearing a mesh jacket or not wearing any armour at all, go with the mesh...or just park the bike until the heat indices drop below 110.

For the record, I wear a Firstgear mesh jacket when the heat index gets over 90 degrees and leather all other times.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
cconleyjr

I think johnathan posted something about having a summer jacket for sale in the for sale thread said he didn't wear it much may want to check into that looked like a pretty good deal other than that i couldn't really reccomend anything i rarely wear a jacket unless its cold

Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
LilNinja77

Quote:
Perforated leather is cool like mesh, but with abrasion-resistance about equal to a full textile jacket (ergo, not as good as thick road-leathers). There are, however, more expensive mesh and textile jackets lined with Kevlar and other very abrasive-resistant and much lighter materials. Some of these have rated abrasion tests as long or longer than some common leathers, but like I said, they are expensive.
Hmm, all of the modern perforated leather jackets I've seen (including my own) are actually thicker than their non-perforated counterparts. The perforations are so tiny that they *shouldn't* have any negative effect on abrasion resistance........I say *shouldn't* because I haven't taken the initiative to personally crash test any of my gear :cool: As for what Orpheus asked, I can't say I've ever heard of any mesh textile jacket providing the same protection as a leather jacket.....I could be wrong, just saying. As for the kevlar-textile, I don't think I've ever seen any mesh-style jackets with the kevlar, only full textile jackets. On the last thread about this I asked for anyone to please post a mesh jacket with kevlar if they knew of one...........

Here are some pics of my perforated leather jacket to show the perforations for anyone who may be interested.:

The perforations are on the stomach, chest, upper arms and shoulders. There are air-scoops on the shoulders, vents in the back, and the inner-arm portion is also a breathable textile. Having both a perforated and non-perf. leather jacket, the difference is quite apparent while riding. This is effectively a "mesh-leather" jacket, but the simple fact that it's thick leather gives it a higher quality of protection IMO than any mesh-textile. FWIW, I'm NOT bashing textile gear at all; I absolutely love my Tour Master textile gear. Textile gear is of great quality these days and is WAAAY more affordable than expensive leather gear. Also, textile gear is much more weather proof right out of the box, which is one of the big selling points to year-round riders.

Anyone looking for gear should just get what they want, I'm not trying to make everyone wear what I wear; it just seems like there are a lot of people around here who feel confused about different kinds of gear.....just trying to help out with info. If mesh is the most you'll wear, then just get the best quailty mesh you can. To me the most important thing is to actually try the jacket out before you buy it, don't just order it online without having seen it in person.
Ride safe

Old 07-28-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
LilNinja77

Here we go, I stand corrected:
http://www.motoport.com/Product.asp?Clv=102302
See, even a smart ass like me can admit when they are wrong. Supposedly this is like, the absolute top of the line in mesh-style gear. It's actually more expensive than my perforated leather jacket, but hey, it sure is neat. If I didn't already have riding gear had the money to spend, I'd give it a try.

Once again, wear what you'll be comfortable wearing, it's as simple as that. The rule is this: Any gear is better than no gear, and qualtiy gear is better than cheap gear.

Ride safe

Old 07-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
RichInFla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNinja77
Here we go, I stand corrected:
http://www.motoport.com/Product.asp?Clv=102302
See, even a smart ass like me can admit when they are wrong. Supposedly this is like, the absolute top of the line in mesh-style gear. It's actually more expensive than my perforated leather jacket, but hey, it sure is neat. If I didn't already have riding gear had the money to spend, I'd give it a try.

Once again, wear what you'll be comfortable wearing, it's as simple as that. The rule is this: Any gear is better than no gear, and qualtiy gear is better than cheap gear.

Ride safe
First of all, I welcome any and all opinions. Second, you have to understand that my choice to ride was based on economy, not "for the love of the ride" (which may come later, and I'm sure makes me an outcast here). My neighbor, who's been riding HD's since he was born, tools off to work in nothing more than his jeans and tank top (no helmet), he's an old Oklahoma boy. So, I'm at least thinking of the bad things that can happen. I rejected recommendations for a 3/4 or no helmet, and bought a full face helmet, and yes, that gets pretty warm when the heat index is typically 95-100+ from June to August here in Florida (we don't really have a winter !!).

So, I'm looking for something that is light and breathable, because I often do short trips around town, a couple miles here, a couple miles there to my works different locations. If leather is the same as textile, I have no problem with that, but I need something economical as well.

Anyway, like I said, I'm open to suggestions, just remember that I need to find something I can easily put on/take off, because underneath are work clothes (dockers and collar shirt, yes, another "outcast" flag). It's not like I'm just going riding for a couple of hours. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your input.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
LilNinja77

What kind of price range are you looking at? As others had mentioned, the really high quality mesh gear is pretty pricey. Regular mesh-textile jackets can be had for quite cheap, if that's what you're interested in buying. Despite my often-negative attitude towards the stuff, it is definitely better than nothing. As for the leather, I'd guess that you'd be needing to spend quite a bit more for one that would breathe really well. IMO full textile jackets breathe less than full leather jackets, but that's just been my experience, YMMV.

Quote:
My neighbor, who's been riding HD's since he was born, tools off to work in nothing more than his jeans and tank top (no helmet), he's an old Oklahoma boy
Don't worry, we all know one (or 20) of those......even over here in VA with helmet laws, I see them all the time during the summer. God I can't wait for winter so I can ride in peace again. Once the temp. drops below 50 I'm happy :2tup:....below 40 and I'm even happier. Only rode in the snow a few times, but those were the only days of snow out here last winter.

Good luck with your gear-choices, keep us posted!
Ride safe

Old 07-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
RichInFla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNinja77
What kind of price range are you looking at? As others had mentioned, the really high quality mesh gear is pretty pricey. Regular mesh-textile jackets can be had for quite cheap, if that's what you're interested in buying. Despite my often-negative attitude towards the stuff, it is definitely better than nothing. As for the leather, I'd guess that you'd be needing to spend quite a bit more for one that would breathe really well. IMO full textile jackets breathe less than full leather jackets, but that's just been my experience, YMMV
To keep an open mind, I went looking on the web for leather jackets. I found "vented", which I figure is probably different than "perforated". Here's the link for a perforated one, any comments ?

http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/produc ... 1&affid=4#

I see "breathable leather" as well (guessing same as perforated?). Prices range on most from $150 to almost $600 !! We do have a HD dealer in Melbourne, so I guess I should go take a look and try some on. Not a lot of choices as in, say, Daytona (1 hour away) or Orlando (1 1/2 hours away), I'm sure they have more dealers and more selection.

I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible, so if anyone has any ones I can check out online, please let me know. I know LilNinja said to go try it on, so that will probably be this weekend at the local HD dealer. Comfort and fit are very important, but if I find a decent looking one online, I might take a chance. Thanks again !!

Also, on a lighter note: If I have one too many beers one night, I might post my bike pic so you all can see what a "computer geek" from Florida looks like on his GZ250 !! Have a safe day everyone !!