Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
Moedad

Rode my GZ on a CA freeway for the first time

While I was out at lunch, I went to a couple of places (one of which was Long Beach Motorsports for any SoCal locals, where out of curiosity, I asked what the price was for a key blank - $12!!). On my way back to my office, I realized I could hop on the south 405 at Cherry and get right off again at Lakewood. It's only a mile, but at least my feet are wet now. :cool:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Not sure if it counts but...

I rode from AH to Big Corona Beach Saturday...

At one point, Jamboree, which is technically NOT a freeway, gets four lanes wide, has those green overhanging signs, and a 60mph speed limit, sure seems to turn into a freeway. Close as I've gotten.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I had been riding the bike over a week or so before I realized my permit doesn't allow night driving or freeway driving. The first day I rode it I was practicing in a parking lot well after dark. Oops!

Seems like a stupid rule, there's generally a lot less people on the road after dark, especially in the summer. Or is it after a certain time?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Moedad

Re: Not sure if it counts but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I rode from AH to Big Corona Beach Saturday...

At one point, Jamboree, which is technically NOT a freeway, gets four lanes wide, has those green overhanging signs, and a 60mph speed limit, sure seems to turn into a freeway. Close as I've gotten.
I bought my bike used from a guy in Tustin and when I picked it up I went down Jamboree to PCH. It's defintely freeway-like. It was afternoon and I had a headwind. Felt like I was going to lift off the bike a couple of times. I closed a few zippers on my jacket and it got better. Of course I ended up on PCH during rush hour. I learned that it's better to shift into 1st before the bike stops rather than after.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
RichInFla

Re: Rode my GZ on a CA freeway for the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
While I was out at lunch, I went to a couple of places (one of which was Long Beach Motorsports for any SoCal locals, where out of curiosity, I asked what the price was for a key blank - $12!!).
Moe, did you see my post on "Key Blanks - FYI". I ended up buying 6 due to "minimum purchase" requirements. I only had 3 of them cut, so if anyone out there wants one, I'd be more than happy to send you one. I've got 3 blanks left just sitting in a drawer !!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Not sure if it counts but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I realized my permit doesn't allow night driving or freeway driving. The first day I rode it I was practicing in a parking lot well after dark.
At least you didn't take a freeway to get there.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

It's got me thinking...

...about this CA restriction on the permits. First I was kinda wondering about the definition of night (time, darkness or what) now I'm wondering about what exatly constitutes a "freeway".

I live right next to California 241, which, in the truest sense of the word, is NOT a freeway, by virtue of the fact you have to pay to ride on it. And it is some of the sweetest pavement around these parts. Good scenery, freshly paved, lots of rolling hills and sweeping curves and stuff. And damn near no traffic.

My experience in arguing technicalities with LEO's is... well, I haven't won an argument yet. Anybody know what the specifics are on the CA permit restrictions? I'm gonna be riding with one until at least the end of September.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
Moedad

Re: Rode my GZ on a CA freeway for the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichInFla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
While I was out at lunch, I went to a couple of places (one of which was Long Beach Motorsports for any SoCal locals, where out of curiosity, I asked what the price was for a key blank - $12!!).
Moe, did you see my post on "Key Blanks - FYI". I ended up buying 6 due to "minimum purchase" requirements. I only had 3 of them cut, so if anyone out there wants one, I'd be more than happy to send you one. I've got 3 blanks left just sitting in a drawer !!
I did see that, that's why I asked at the dealer and I mentioned it - so folks would know what a good deal you posted.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
rusty rider

Alan I don't know about CA, but here in Indiana any limited access road is considered a freeway.

Took about 10 mile ride on Interstate 70 near my house last month. I was able to cruise right along with everyone else speed wise, but when passing one semi, and coming up behind another the turbulance (sic) was winging me everywhere. It gets you there fast but isn't a very enjoyable ride. :cool:
Old 08-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
OC Hoosier

Re: Cal permits

Hey Moedad and Alan--

I live in Costa Mesa, work in Newport Coast, and my girlfriend lives in Mission Viejo (on the SW end of Santiago Canyon Rd...lots of Cook's Corner traffic!!). I too have only my permit and as Alan can testify, the Safety Courses are booked almost two months in advance. I am on the road at 5 a.m. heading for work, so needless to say it is 'dark'. I commute via the 73 to PCH. There is almost no traffic in the mornings, but moderate to heavy in the evenings. The road is fairly smooth and I can hold my own with the cagers. I have braved the 405 about three times heading to/from my girlfriend's house. I don't mind the diamond lane, but everywhere else on this stretch of concrete makes me nervous. Heavy traffic, high speeds, and uneven/grooved/wavy paving are a bad combination for a GZ! So...except for riding double (which I refuse to do as a learner...I have actually removed the back seat both for aesthetics and to alleviate the temptation) I have managed to quite illegally ride both on a freeway and in the dark...often combining the two, ha! I am a very responsible/conservative rider and am becoming very confident in my skill level. I am, however, anxiously awaiting my training course. It's extremely rare to see a motorcycle pulled over on the SoCal freeways, so I haven't worried too much about being hindered by my 'permit'. Besides, good luck getting anywhere out here without hopping on some sort of multi-lane thoroughfare! With an air-cooled 5 speed, we'd be much more likely burn out the clutch or blow the motor before actually reaching our destination (which is usually only 15 miles or less), right?! Ha!!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
alanmcorcoran

OC

Nice to hear from you OC. I am in month 12 of my latest 18 month traffic school probationary period and I tend to be a little more compliant with the laws until I am eligible to attend again. (If they awarded degrees in traffic school, I'd have a handful of Ph.D's by now. Tend to go a tad faster than you're supposed to on the freeway.)

My bike is sitting in the service department at San Juan Cap waiting for them to fix the $%^&&!! left blinker which was defective on delivery.

Maybe, before we all get too jaded, we can meet up over on Chapman and Jamboree and do a Geezy convoy through Harley Country. If I ever see mine again.

FYI, I'm pretty a conservative rider too. Politically? Not so much.

-Alan.