Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 10-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
TXtwowheeler

Dumped my GZ in traffic

2006 GZ 250
Riding experience: Two months and one day. About 2000 miles. I commute every day.
Conditions: Moderately heavy traffic and dry streets riding in to work about 7:30 AM.
Factors leading to dumping it in traffic:
1) This morning it decided to have a hard shifting problem going into 3rd and sometimes 4th.
2) I got distracted and a little ticked off at the hard shifting.
3) While trying to fight it up into 4th, I looked up with about 20 feet to stop before hitting the back of a pick-up.
4) Panic breaking locked up the front and it dumped me. :skull:

I was in helmet, gloves, and bundled up pretty well against the morning chill, but not in leather or armor.

I flew over the bars thinking "Here comes the big slide", but instead I hit on my right knee and elbow and rolled a few times. I got up and heard tires screeching, so I jumped out of the lane to hug the barrier. Truck behind me screeched to a stop, hitting my bike to add insult to injury.

People behind us were honking at the guy who got out to help me because we were now temporarily blocking both lanes going over the overpass. Truck behind me was OK and I got the bike back up and rode it to work.

Damage to bike: Front fender scratched and cracked slightly. Headlight mount bent and light cocked to the side and scratched. Right handlebar bent. Mirrors turned into pretzels. Front break lever bent. Master cylinder scratched and banged up. Rear break lever bent. Tail pipe bent.

Damage to rider: Knee and elbow scratched slightly and bruised slightly. Thumb and hand and wrist sore and aching.

I learned some good lessons, and I feel pretty lucky the damage to bike and rider were only mild. HOWEVER, I feel unlucky that it decided to have trouble shifting at that time. After getting home, I took it for spins in the neighborhood 3 times and can't get it to stick again. Meanwhile, I straightened out all the bent stuff and I'm ready to ride to work tomorrow. I'm going to clean and grease the shift lever, and when my filters come in the mail, I'm going to change the oil and switch to synthetic.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Dumped my GZ in traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtwowheeler
3) While trying to fight it up into 4th, I looked up with about 20 feet to stop before hitting the back of a pick-up.
No offense meant here but, brutally honest, that is a typical rookie mistake......LOOKING at the clutch lever or break pedal or shifter, when you should be looking where you are going.
Looking at the shifter won't help it shift better !!

Did you take a riding course ? Did they mention that in the course?

Apparently a LOT of new riders have that problem; maybe I did too......can't remember that far back !!

Glad you and the bike are OK. Yes, I think you are VERY lucky, under the circumstances. Hope the hand doesn't get worse; you could have cracked something in there.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
TXtwowheeler

Yes it was a total rookie mistake to get distracted like that. I didn't mean that I was actually looking at the clutch or the shift lever... I just wasn't paying attention to traffic. I was kicking it like hell trying to get up in 4th and I don't know where I was looking, but it was not to the cars in front of me. The other big rookie mistake was the panic braking when I actually had enough room to stop without locking it up. No offense taken, by the way. I posted my big dummy moment on here so y'all could rub it in a little and maybe shame me into better habits.

Yes, I did take an MSF course before I got my license, and the really funny thing was that just before I dumped it, I was thinking to myself, "I'm glad I took that course, because the things I learned in there really saved me from...(*&%$#%))(% oh shit."

It's been twelve hours and I'm beginning to get pretty sore. That hurts worse than anybody here calling me out for being a dumbass. Bring it! I deserve it.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Hey man, I say big props to you for getting home and focusing on trying to duplicate the problem with the shifter instead of freaking out over the dumpage. Not sure I would have had the stones right after nearly biting it under a pickup.

I hope you aren't as old as the rest of us, 'cuz the stuff that hurts gets worse for a (long) while before it gets better. If anything starts hurting real bad, get it checked out. Sometimes the adrenaline from an accident gets you through the first few hours and later on you discover you rode home with a fractured wrist.

2000 miles is a lot for two months. I know we'll all be rookies forever in Easy's eyes, but I think you're well past the newb stage. I could see myself doing the same thing, especially now that I'm "comfortable" riding. I think I was safer when I was a total newb because I was scared to do anything but focus on the road. I've let my guard down a little after 1400 miles and it takes effort to stay focused on all of the potential hazards.

Glad to hear you still have all the important stuff attached (to your body) and the bike is still ridable.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #5
rusty rider

I'm glad your OK, and everyone goe's down sometime.

Mine were from me having dumb@$$ attacks. Once riding no hands country road no one around, wasn't showing off just doing it. Front wheel hit chuck hole slammed me down like a mouse trap. Another time decided to see if brake light was working when only putting on front brake, you can guess what the end result was there. The last time I was looking at some girl, looked back in front just in time to see the trunk lock of a 75 Mercury right in front of my tire. Luckily I did all of those things when I was 16 to 17 years old and I bounced a hell of a lot better than I would now 30+ years later.

Thing is you got right back on and road the pony again. Now just remember if your having mechanical problems or anything else that diverts your attention, pull over and take care of then. Be safe and see you out there. :rawk:

Old 10-10-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
mr. softie

I also applaud you for getting back on. My father was an airline pilot and taught me to fly as well as drive. When I crashed his car a week after getting my license he told me to take the other car out for a ride right away. He told me "any landing you can walk away from is a good landing". I guess it stuck because every time I have been able to walk away from a crash I have just straighened stuff out and climbed back on.

I try to maintain a "Warriors View" while riding. By that I mean I extend my awareness all around me, as a warrior on a battlefield. Not taking what is happening around me personally but being aware at all times and acting on it. To allow that awareness to become focused in any one area opens vulnerability in others. "Zen Riding".

I came across the following on the net and I think it sums it up nicely...

"Suzuki Shosan is among the most dramatic personalities in the history of Zen. A samurai who served under the Shogun Tokugawa leyasu in the 17th century, he became a Zen monk at age 41 and evolved a highly original teaching style imbued with the warrior spirit. The warrior's life, Shosan believed, was particularly suited to Zen study because it demanded vitality, courage and "death energy", the readiness to confront death at any moment. Emphasizing dynamic activity over quiet contemplation, Shosan urged students to realize enlightenment in the midst of their daily tasks, whether tilling fields, selling wares, or confronting an enemy in the heat of battle."

Or motorcycling in the heat of commuting! :rawk:
Old 10-10-2008, 01:30 AM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Mr. Softie! I had no idea you were an intellectual!

I'm gonna read up on Shosan-san. I like the warrior/battlefield analogy. Not much of a warrior if you are thinking about this months financials whilst heading into Mr. Suburban's Tow hitch.

By the way, I checked on your pants on Bandit and when I looked they were still selling it on "Closeout." Also checked the manufacturer's main site, but no listing for that model anymore. Some spacesuit type tech suits. Not sure I have enough "death energy" to ride into work dressed like a Power Ranger.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
mr. softie

I think my Highland 2 suit looks more like a Jeff Gorden racing suit than a power ranger suit. I mean that is Macho! But I try not to focus on how I look while riding...the warriors view thing again. :cool:
Old 10-10-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
alanmcorcoran

I was talking about the other ones they still have. Check out http://www.fieldsheer.com/2009site/I...radar1suit.htm

I wear a combo from ICON that makes me look like Batman. That's apparently in my range.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:12 AM   #10
mr. softie

I see what you mean! Definitely Power Rangers!

I guess the new replacement to the highland is the cyclone. Perhaps some enhancements.

I always liked the Dark Knight. No super powers. Just a regular guy fightin' crime! :banana: