Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 01-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
normnxn

many thanks

im new to this site but before signing up have been finding it really useful.
i have a 1999 gz250 and only just got it about a month now but rented it for 3 weeks before. since i bought it the bike started giving me some trouble which turned into a lot.
i have been on here nearly everynight since it all happened to try to use your help from previous postings. i was having battery trouble, done like has be mettioned on a lot of the other postings, added to the petrol to clean out, and changed spark plugs, the battery was replaced and still this happened, i checked the wiring inside the lights and what i could around the bike, also changed a fuse. but still nothing was working for me, what it turned out to be, and in my lack of experenice for not being the first thing i checked, was the bulb not the head light but the 3w side light, all this trouble almost 3 weeks worth for a quick fix of only €0.75. the bike is now running great just like when i was renting it. i wouldnt have know what to have done to the bike for getting it fixed myself if it wasnt for the help and addvice from everyone on this site, so a really big thanks from me. :2tup: :2tup: :2tup: :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: many thanks

Glad you got it fixed and are back to riding instead of screwing around with it!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
normnxn

so much for that, the bike wouldnt start this morning. managed to get it to a garage.
eventually got battery changed and the person i bought the bike off came to help, told me
it was the electrofier. got it changed to a spare one till i get the new one which will be getting fitted on sunday. bike started up well even after stopping and starting it again, came out of work and it started ok :rawk: . but when i got home and went out on it to the shop the power started to go again, lights got dim and almost cut out . still dont know what is wrong with it. any help would be great as to suggestions or ideas to try to fix it for good this time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
mrlmd1

What do you mean by having "battery trouble"? If the battery is weak or dead, you have to charge it up with the appropriate charger. Even a brand new battery MUST be fully charged first before putting it into service, especially the sealed batteries which you probably have. If you got a brand new sealed battery and didn't fully charge it up first, it won't have much capacity and maybe that's part of your problem. It may start the bike once or twice and then that's it. Even sitting overnight, it may be dead by the morning. The whole problem may be the battery, not the "electrofier" , and how did he know that was the problem? A dead light bulb shouldn't kill the battery. If you had a short somewhere, that would blow a fuse and it would blow again right after you changed it to a new one. I'd bet the problem is your battery. Get it load tested, if it's no good, get a new one and charge it up fully before using it.