Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
bigvariable

Send a message via AIM to bigvariable
Howdy from the plains.

Hey guys, new to this forum, but don't get me wrong, I'm not new to forums in general. I'm and 18 year-old freshman student at Auburn University studying architecture.

I'm looking to buy my first motorcycle. I've done some research and narrowed it down to three bikes: Suzuki GZ250, Honda Rebel 250, or a Yamaha 250 Virago. It just depends on how much I sell my car for. Any suggestions? Oh, and one more question.

Would it be smart to sell the car and rely on a bike completely?

Mitsubishi 3000GT for sale.
Information:
start.io

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
adrianinflorida

Re: Howdy from the plains.

You'll find we're a bit biased towards one of the bikes you've narrowed down to.
As for the motorcycle as your only transport, it should work if you live on campus and don't have any regular long distance trips to make in inclement weather.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
roncg41677

If taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Beginning Rider Course isn't mandated by your state, I'd HIGHLY recommend it. The riding skills you'll learn are invaluable.

...and welcome :biggrin:
~ Matthew 6:33 ~

Old 03-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
bigvariable

Send a message via AIM to bigvariable

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncg41677
If taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Beginning Rider Course isn't mandated by your state, I'd HIGHLY recommend it. The riding skills you'll learn are invaluable.

...and welcome :biggrin:
Actually, in Alabama, it isn't mandatory. But, to be honest, I pride my self on learning things through experience. I think I can learn the basic skills by taking the first few months slow and being as careful as possible. Call me stupid, call me naive, call me what you want. I think i can handle a motorcycle, but I'll figure that out when I get one. And not to mention, with being in college, I don't really have the time or the money for it.

That's the main reason I decided to sell my car and get a motorcycle. My insurance on my Mitsubishi 3000GT right now is $1200 per year, and on a motorcycle it would be much cheaper, depending on what bike I get. But thanks for heads up though.

Mitsubishi 3000GT for sale.
Information:
start.io
Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
roncg41677

It's worth waiting until you can take it. There are things you'll learn that do not come naturally (i.e. counter-steering, looking ahead to where you want to go, emergency braking etc.) The time spent practicing in a lot with a trained teacher are well worth it.

Just my opinion.
~ Matthew 6:33 ~

Old 03-28-2009, 04:06 AM   #6
alanmcorcoran

big,

everyone kicks me about this, but, if you take your time, do a little research on the Internet, and, if you can afford it, buy and read Proficient Motorcycling, you'll be fine. I am in a very small minority on here, but I found the MSF course to be mostly a waste of time. Many of the the things that are mentioned above that "don't come naturally" are also part of learning to ride a bicycle and I don't know many people that take a course for that. There are some very key things you want to practice and master - and they all can be found in Proficient and in other sources on-line.

Take it easy for the first 300 or so miles and wear all the stuff. Don't rush it! Also, you are young and probably will end up meeting up with other young male experienced riders. DO NOT TRY TO KEEP UP WITH THEM. It takes some time to get up to speed, and riding beyond your experience, while tempting, is a quick way to die.

If you have no money, try and find some used gear. You can hurt yourself pretty good, even on a GZ. Of the three bikes you are looking at, I would eliminate the Rebel. The Suzuki is more versatile, has a bigger gas tank, bigger tires and handles better (I think, the specs may have changed on the rebel). I'm not familiar with the other one.

The GZ is a very easy bike to ride and is generally pretty forgiving. But be careful - it goes pretty damn fast for a small bike and, in slippery conditions, (sand, water, etc.) it will go down just like the big ones. Stay off the highway until you have 300 or so miles, and then, stick with the 50 mph ones until you have 500-600 miles.

Two things to watch out for from the moment you set out on public roads: (1) cars making a left in front of you (and into your lane) Slow down when you see them sitting there - many of them will not "see" you. (2) take it easy on the turns. Don't worry about your speed on curves. It will develop naturally over time. Slow down BEFORE you turn, speed up a little on the way out. Avoid braking when you are leaned over.

These two things are the two biggest causes of MC fatalities. Left turn into you, and losing control in a turn.

(some of the other guys are gonna razz me 'cuz I dropped my big bike a couple times. I deserve it for that, but there is a world of difference between the GZ and my other bike. Other than scaring the shit out of myself a few times when learning to ride on the CA freeways, the GZ has been a pretty tame ride.)

Most importantly, have fun!
Old 03-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
big,

I am in a very small minority on here, but I found the MSF course to be mostly a waste of time.
Just a different perspective on the MSF course:

As a person with little motorcycling experience, I found the course very helpful. The largest benefit, to me, was that the course sets the tone for how you view motorcycling. They stress safety, but without a preachy tone, from the first minute on through, be it the classroom sessions or the field training. Not coincidentally, that is how I now approach motorcylcing. A lot of the good advice you hear on this forum, I heard for the first time there. All of the instuctors I had were experienced riders giving back to the motorcyling community (I mean 30 - 40 years). You don't want access to that kind of wisdom/experience? BTW, had a guy in my class who had been riding over 30 years, but the state made him take the course b/c of a drunk driving offense: He said he learned things he didn't know (and I hear this happens a lot).

Moreover, you compact in a short amount of time a lot of things people say they will do, but never get around to actually doing (read, watch instructional video clips, practice safe techniques, etc.). If I do things the "right" way, and I think I do (ATTGATT, T-CLOCK checks, know my and the bike's limits, scan ahead as I ride, counter steer, etc.), the MSF course was an instrumental step in getting me there.

You're young and impatient, and like most of us at your age, you probably think you know more than you actually do. Not judging you. Been there, done that. I guess the most impressive thing I could tell you about this topic is that I have daughters almost your age and both have expressed interest in learning how to ride: I will insist both take the MSF course. I understand money is an issue, but owning a motocycle is almost like owning a boat: you will spend more money than you think. If there is any way for you to find the money for this, well, how much is your life worth? Think of it that way.

Keith

Whatever your decision, ride safe and have fun!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvariable
But, to be honest, I pride my self on learning things through experience.
No real surprise there; pretty typical for most 18 year olds.

Those of us who have passed through SEVERAL 18 year increments know, however, that experience alone is not REALLY the best teacher, for it sometimes teaches you bad habits.
Some of those bad habits may put your life in jeopardy.

Did I mention that you are not invincible ??? :biggrin:

Anyhow, welcome to the forum. Most of us here think the GZ would be the best choice, partly because it looks and feels (to some degree) like a bigger bike. Since you probably won't be able to get any test drives (no license and all), sit on the 3 choices and favor the one that feels the best. You probably won't really go "wrong" with any of them.

How are your bicycle skills and experience? It is important that you can ride a bicycle before you move up to a motorcycle.....honestly.

As for the bike being your only transportation, only YOU can make that call.......but remember that riding at ~30 mph, if you are soaking wet, can feel VERY cold .....regardless of the real outside temperature.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
everyone kicks me about this, but, if you take your time, do a little research on the Internet, and, if you can afford it, buy and read Proficient Motorcycling, you'll be fine.
Well THAT was a really disappointing post. :skull:
Maybe there is a good reason that "everyone kicks me about this".

I guess maybe you are on the cusp of the "my experience is more important than the collective wisdom of others" generation. Younger folks just don't get it and tend to fight the "conventional wisdom" to the death but I thought you had more savy.

Let me just say: It is an undisputable fact that all people are NOT the same. Their skills and abilities differ widely. I know that you think you are providing good advice but, for a person that you really know nothing about, it just is NOT......really.

Mentioning your considered opinion is one thing; "preaching" that your experience somehow applies to everybody and "you'll be fine" is quite a different thing.

Ponder upon that for a bit, please ??

P.S. The REST of your post was excellent but you really need to get over this "if I did it, you can too" recommendation. Really.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
alanmcorcoran

Easy,

Perhaps you didn't actually read my post. I DID take the MSF course. Try and realize the possibility that not everyone has the same opinion as you and the value of the forum is to hear from as many voices as possible. It's the American way.

I never said "my experience is more important..." but you essentially did.