Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
ratioutput

how to safely lift the bike for a fork seal replacement ??

I've never lifted a motorcycle before or done any thing the likes of changing fork seals, but my baby is leaking out the dust seal and down the outer tube of both forks. I need to lift the front of the bike up safely so I can access the forks. I have a scissor jack from out of car but damn that $25 jack looks just spiffy under my way higher-priced two wheeler. I'm hesitant to spend any money on a lift that may possibly damage the underpart of the bike, anyone have a suggestion? Or know of a lift that will fit the GZ.

2003 GZ 2nd owner 4K miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-21-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
mr. softie

Re: how to safely lift the bike for a fork seal replacement ??

First of all welcome to the forum!

I made a set of stands like the ones shown on this site for the rear of the bike. http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=62 You can also use metal jack stands if you have them. They are placed under the swing arm close to the rear axle. With the rear up on the stands, you can use your scissor jack under the frame at the front of the engine to lift the front wheel just off the ground.
Remove the brake caliper and hang it from a bungee or piece of wire or string etc. Then remove the front axle, wheel, and fender. Loosen the fork clamps on the steering head (do not pry these to get more looseness!) and slide the fork legs out. Remove the caps being careful to hold pressure on cap while unscrewing. Otherwise the cap will fly off and possibly cause injury. Remove spring(s) and drain the oil out. It will be disgusting but that is normal for used fork oil.
Follow manual instructions for replacing seals. Sometimes (after removing circlip of course) the old seals can be tough to get out. Use the "slide hammer" technique of sliding the fork lower forcibly down the fork tube to "hammer" the old seal out. A properly sized piece of pvc plastic plumbing pipe works well for driving the new seal in. Measure the new fork oil carefully you want exactly the same amount in each tube.
I would recommend using at least a medium 15w fork oil, and 20w will firm up the ride even more. More money than ATF but worth it! The bike will handle and corner better. Good luck! This job is really pretty easy.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
ratioutput

Thank you!, I will see if I can lift it. While on the topic of the fork seals do you know of a good parts provider? I found a website http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/par ... fault.aspx that has OEM parts but perhaps there is a better way to source them?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
mr. softie

A tip on lifting the bike up onto jack stands...with the bike on its side stand, fit one stand under right swing arm. It needs to be a tight fit under there. Then while holding front brake, rock the bike up onto that jack stand, and push the other jack stand under the left swing arm with your foot.

Use the steel U shaped piece between the exhaust headers as your front jack point.

Suppliers...everyone has their favorites. I usually use the local dealer or an independent shop. If the part is not in stock they order it for me, takes a few days. Suzuki parts for the GZ are not expensive and the local price is usually a bit less than online. Any motorcycle shop can order any part oem or not. I have also used Bike Bandit with good results. eBay is a last resort for me, never know what you will end up with there.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
ratioutput

Hey, did you use one of those fancy pants oil sucker things, or did you just measure out the factory spec quanity of fluid as exact for both the legs. I still have not done the operation as i'm waiting for the parts to arrive and my confidence to rise... :/

Old 04-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

A baby bottle usually has good measurements in fluid ounces and Metric measurements.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
A baby bottle usually has good measurements in fluid ounces and Metric measurements.
just make sure you dont fill it with milk and give it to a baby afterwards :puking: