Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
oneyunguy

Slow to come down to idle when warm / hot

Any ideas on why this may be happening? Its a normal, usual thing with this bike for the past two seasons.
Takes about 5 - 10 seconds to slowly come down to normal put..put..put..put.

oh, on a side note, I think I remember previous posts about this but, I find it hard to get into first after stopping, say at a red light.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
GZ250

Re: Slow to come down to idle when warm / hot

For the first part, slow to come down, adjust the idle speed. It does not seem to be because of idle speed but it does for me. Setting the perfect idle speed is tricky. The idle knob is on the right side. For the second part, hard to get in firts gear. Check you engine oil level and change if old and also gear lever is connected with a rod to the body and there is a nut (screw) that holds the rod to that part that is going in gear box, if that nut is loose you can have some issues. In my case that nut was loose and there was a play in that rod.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
oneyunguy

but...but...but my idles puuuuuurfect. he he. (once it calms down and gets there) any lower idle speed and I would ultimately come close to a stall. I have actually tried this and it came very close to stalling, but also didnt help the slow to idle speed problem.

Oil level and quality is good, I will be sure to check the play in the connecting rod.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
GZ250

how is the play in your accelator. Add some enough lube and keep moving back and forth so that the cable also gets lubed. Or if something inside carb than you need some service.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

The recommended habit to get into is shift into 1st just before the bike comes to a stop. This is also safer as you are already in gear if you need to make a quick getaway.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:56 AM   #6
alantf

Have you tried carb cleaner, added to the fuel tank? I had problems associated with jerkiness, bad tickover etc. From the moment I put fuel additive (we can't get the exact carb cleaner over here) in the tank, my problems magically vanished, never to show their ugly heads again!

Please note :- I hit the "submit" button, & my post vanished. I've rewritten it & re-submitted it. If THIS post also comes up twice (like it did the other day) then I don't know what the problem is.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
dannylightning

carb cleaner could work, lube or adjust the throttle cables could be the case too to check this, with the bike off roll on the throttle about half way, quickly let go, the had grip should quickly snap back and you should be able to hear it snap back if it does not snap back and you cant hear it snap back. than you probably need to lube the cables or adjust them.. if it does that the cables probably don't need any attention and i would try something to clean the carb. you should be able to wiggle the handgrip/gas pedal haha it should have a few millimeters of play in it look in the manual it should tell you the specs.

i think a lot of people have trouble getitng in to first if they are stopped. mine does this some times but if i roll the bike forward or backward just a tad it will shift right in to first. being in first before you stop is the best advice as stated by some one above me.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:56 AM   #8
GZ250

getting into first from neutral is easy but going back to first from another second is tricky in GZ, shifting to first gear is the worst issue with GZ, it does not engage easily. in your case if you can't go to first from neutral than problem lies somehwere else.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
carb cleaner could work, lube or adjust the throttle cables could be the case too to check this,

i think a lot of people have trouble getitng in to first if they are stopped.
Yes and yes.
The slow to come down to idle could also be a sign of a vacume leak but I would check the cables and run some carb cleaner in the gas first.

Shifting into 1st will be harder if you have TOO much slack in the clutch cable OR have fat grips that prevent you from pulling the lever as far as it should be.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
oneyunguy

Thanks for the replies. I have just added some seafoam to the tank. Will check all my cables but I believe they are okay. Also is my handlegrip. It snaps back pretty good. I do have over 32,000kms on the bike, maybe that has a little to do with it. I took the engine apart and had the cylinder rebored and put new piston / rings in, all new gaskets, the GOOD STUFF, since I owned it. I bought it from the local Motorcycle safety training facility and have all the logs since they had it new. Well taken care of.