Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
johnd

New (2000) GZ owner with oil level questions

Hi to all,
I am new to the forum and this is first post, I bought my 2000 GZ over the weekend and spent today with the title change and insurance. And a little cleaning. It is a very clean bike with 1783 miles. The lady bought a Harley and I wanted to see if I wanted to ride again after a long time, so I bought this. The only sqawk is no owner's manual or tool kit. What really worries me is that I held it upright and the oil level is above the full mark and the sight glass seems to be full of oil and I am afraid to run it. The owner's husband (also Harley rider) seems to know bikes and he said he changed the oil and filter. Should I drain some oil out into a clean container and then add back? Or go to the dealer and pay for an oil change and have a good reference mark? Thanks and appreciation for any and all advice. I have read a lot about the GZ250 and would really hate to do harm to this one. They seem to be very well liked by their owners.
Is that the drain plug centered on bottom of engine?
Thanks
Johnd

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: New (2000) GZ owner with oil level questions

Welcome, johnd. When the bike is on its kickstand, do you see any bubble at all in the top of the sight glass? I'm inclined to say drain out some oil. The drain plug is at the bottom of the engine, but there's another bolt down therethat sometimes is mistaken for the drain plug. You can download the service manual from this website and learn more there. Check the link.

http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2158
Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd
Hi to all,
I am new to the forum and this is first post, I bought my 2000 GZ over the weekend

The only sqawk is no owner's manual or tool kit.

What really worries me is that I held it upright and the oil level is above the full mark and the sight glass seems to be full of oil and I am afraid to run it.

Is that the drain plug centered on bottom of engine?
Welcome. Good choice of bikes.....for a second time "beginner".

You should be able to get both manual and tool kit from a dealer; whether or not the tool kit is worth the money is open to debate.

If the oil is only slightly about the window, there will be no problem. It is possible that you are tending to lean it a little when checking. Absent a long inspection mirror, it is best done with TWO people; one on the bike and the other checking the window. If you have to lean it much to see the actual oil level, then you probably should drain some (or as you said, all and then don't put it all back).

Yes, the drain plug is on the bottom, in the middle of a round plate that is held on by 3 smaller bolts.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
johnd

Thanks. I will get a pan and go drain some oil. I am anxious to ride but afraid of too much oil. I don't suppose Jazzy has some type of relief or over full valve for guys like us who think in quarts.
Johnd
Old 06-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
johnd

Folks my fat and 65 year old body protests and I cannot get low enough to see the oil drain plug. I don't see how a wrench will ever fit and I tried a 17mm socket but was afraid of rounding the bolt head. Will someone please give the size socket needed? Does anyone know if the Harbor Freight Tools m/c stand will work with the GZ? It is so low I don't know... If this guy put two quarts in it, I am terribly afraid of even cranking it up. It was run briefly across the lawn to load in my truck.
Thanks,
Johnd

Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
I don't see how a wrench will ever fit and I tried a 17mm socket but was afraid of rounding the bolt head. Will someone please give the size socket needed? Does anyone know if the Harbor Freight Tools m/c stand will work with the GZ?
John, new friend......DID you actually try to determine, by tipping the bike, how much too much is actually IN there ?? It appears that you only heard PART of what we said.

No, a "standard" motorcycle/ATV jack won't work without some modifications. I found a scissor jack more helpful than my bike/ATV jack.......but not for oil changing.

You WILL need a 6-point socket that is NOT tappered (or with the taper ground off) because of the thin head on the bolt. I forget what size; someone else will surely know.....or you can check the online manuals available here.

About the only practical way I found to do it, until you get the bolt a little loose anyway, was to LAY DOWN beside the bike while it is on the side stand. (I'm not far behind you at 62 and it was somewhat of a problem).

This might be a good time to establish a relationship with the nearest Suzuki dealer. A few ounces of extra oil will ***NOT*** do any harm to the bike if it is not rev'ed up high or ridden hard for a long distance. Maybe you should just let the dealer check it and adjust as necessary. They probably have a "turkey baster" to suck a bit of oil out (if necessary) without taking anything apart.......and probably would do that for free.

[Edit] After-thought: Maybe you can get an "oil sucker" from an auto parts store for a couple of bucks and solve it that way.

Good luck however you decide to go.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
johnd

Thanks Easy Rider.
I actually DID read what you said. Very carefully. I can read a sightglass and as I said there is no daylight at the top of the sightglass gauge when the machine is vertical, nor when it is leaned far over to the left as I can lean it standing on the right side. I ran the front tire up two loading ramps (one atop the other) for four inches of height then leaned the bike way over on it's stand and the oil level in the glass was approximately halfway between the full and low marks, favoring the low. I let it back down and will find a dealer to check or change it as I am now dead in the water, or so it seems. It is not a very exciting way of getting started again into riding. One thing I now do recall after the Hondas CX500, and the Goldwing GL1000 and the BMW R 60/5, is that you really come to love shaft drives and center stands.

Thanks for your help and I appreciate it.
Johnd
Old 06-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
.....there is no daylight at the top of the sightglass gauge when the machine is vertical, nor when it is leaned far over to the left as I can lean it standing on the right side.
Ah, the REST of the story !!!

If you can't see daylight in the sight glass when it's on the side stand, then you DO have a problem. Be sure to thank the previous owner, won't you?? :twisted:

Do consider checking the auto parts places for a "sucker" with a tube on the end so you can take some out yourself; shouldn't be more than $5, I would think. The ones I remember were designed for putting water into batteries; glass tube with a hose on one end and a rubber bulb on the other.

If the oil is as high as I think it is from your description, I don't think you should ride it at all.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:56 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Sounds like the H-D rider who changed the oil was thinking H-D quantities. From your description of things the bike is well over filled and should not be ridden. I would suggest draining out some oil soonest. It is possible to loosen the drain plug by laying on the floor on the right side of the bike. Ask me how I know. And I am 64.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
mrlmd1

Seems much easier to insert a clean tube down into the oil fill and suck it out with a syringe or a baster-type thing (with a rubber bulb like used in the kitchen or an ear syringe), than to get under the bike and loosen the plug and spill oil all over the place. Why don't you try that first?

The manuals are on this site, as is a discussion of a recommended tool kit for the GZ.

Welcome and good luck with the bike.
As you will find out, the bike will last forever if the owners don't screw it up.