Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
ericdunn

2003 gz250 stalls at highway speeds

Someone please help. My bike is stalling at highway speeds, acts almost like something electrical because it only seems to do it once it gets hot. Today, for example I was riding out on a 2 lane road, then about 10 miles later it stalled. I pulled over to the side of the road and tried to restart it, and it took about 2 minutes for it to restart. I did notice when I was sitting there that the neutral light wasn't coming on? Any suggestions.. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Sarris

Re: 2003 gz250 stalls at highway speeds

Check the crankcase oil first. The GZ will sputter and stop if it overheats. I had a pal with a GZ, he let the oil level get low and it would stop running at speed when it got hot. DON"T OVER FILL!!

Second, replace the spark plug, as they will sometimes fail when hot.

There isn't much else that I can think of that would fail when hot other than the ignition module. I would suggest a trip to the dealer if item #1 or #2 won't do it.

For the neutral light , replace the bulb. If that wont do it, it probably needs the neutral safety switch cleaned, adjusted, or replaced.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
For the neutral light , replace the bulb. If that wont do it, it probably needs the neutral safety switch cleaned, adjusted, or replaced.
Good suggestions but some clarification is needed.

IF the neutral light fails to work ONLY at the times it won't start, then it would be a clue to the bigger problem and probably NOT just a bad bulb.

There are several kinds of "won't start".

Is it completely dead, lights, horn, turn signals, etc. ??
If so, you have a bad battery, bad connection to the battery or possibly a failing ignition switch.
Does the bike have any added electrical accessories.....like extra lights ??

If some of the lights don't work BUT the starter still turns over, you might have an intermittant fuse or fuse socket or ignition switch.

Do tell us more, please.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
GZ250

even if the battery is weak or dead GZ does not run smooth. for the turn (signal) or the neutral lights sometime they just need a little stroke from beneath and they light up again. The bulb is in a rubber casing and sometime mine goes off and I just push and move around the lower part and it starts working again.

do tell us, we are doing nothing, just killing time in replies. :poke2: :lol:
Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Viirin

The same thing happened to my bike recently save the neutral light - it would ride fine at about 30-40 mph but then if I got on the motorway and the engine got a bit hotter - it would stall out and not start till it cooled down.

I'm not claiming to know more than the guys here but if you have 3 minuets to spare it couldn't hurt to check if it was the same problem as I had and if I'm wrong (more than likely) there's no loss...(I'll even refund your 3 minuets).

Basically i had a lovely mix of oil and water sitting in the bottom of my air box - at normal speeds and heat it wasn't a problem but at higher speeds the crap would vaporize --> block the air filter from getting clean air --> cause incomplete combustion in the engine --> inevitably cause the engine to quit.

Fortunately, there is a pipe with a plug on the end of it that drains the air box hanging out under the bike - you probably won't need anything more than a pliers to open it (if even) and if a whole load of crap drains out you might have the stalling/overheating problem solved.

I hope this helps, I know i helped my bike and it's really simple to do. Still, as i mentioned above, take Easy's or Sarris's advice any day of the week over mine because they actually know what they're talking about and one last bit of advice - if you do decide to drain the airbox - watch your jeans and drive way - both of mine were wrecked.

Vii

Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
blaine

That is a excellent tip,not something you would normally think to check. :2tup: :2tup:

Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
ScardyCat

According to my mechanic, the GZ250 is a single cylinder cruiser and *not* meant for speed--yes, 50MPH may be too fast(?).
He said that just the physics of the engine--large, single cylinder--, itself, makes it difficult to get
enough RPMs to roll faster than 45-50 MPH. the Marauder is a cruizer... so take it nice and easy--max @45MPH(?). :cool:

I have a 2003 GZ250... bought it about 6 weeks ago (@3800Mi) as a practice bike. I just had it serviced--oil change, air filter checked,
clutch, breaks adjusted and bolts checked. It feels firmer, well lubed and gets to speed noticeably faster. However, since
(today) I've started pushing the bike past 45 MPH, ... and it's been stalling :skull: , which my mechanic already warned
me about. O_o ... stay *off* the freeway!

So, if you need to go faster than 50MPH, get a better bike!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

A large single cylinder my eye. I wonder what he would say about a larger 650 single. Doubtful that he has ever ridden a smaller single cylinder bike. You might want to find another shop for your bike.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #9
alantf

One thing I've noticed. The mechanic is fluent in Bullshit.

see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5971
Old 06-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Is this a serious post or a troll?