Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
emory70

FNG

i'm emory, and i just bought a gz250. light metallic blue. picked it up at a local dealership with 7400 miles. that was on monday afternoon. between then and today, i have added about 325-350 to the total. my work in 50 miles from home, so i needed to get away from my unreliable raggedy taurus wagon.

the day i picked up the bike, i had only ridden in the motorcycle safety class. that was at the end of may. i had my buddy run me to the dealership so i could ride it home. he followed me, which was probably a good idea on his part. not 5 miles down the road, some woman almost ran into me.

rode to work tuesday, so my boss (a scottsman) could laugh at my "poof chariot." otherwise uneventful day. same as wednesday, where i was able to drive around a huge storm. not so lucky thursday, when i managed to ride through 3 (or was it 4?) different storm cells. weeee!!

today was the kicker. got about 15 miles down the road this morning (i leave at 430am), and the rear tire went flat. i felt a vibration, and then when i slowed for a light, it felt like the rear end was on ice. that's not good. called the boss and he said he'd pick me up. looked it over and found a nail. boss showed and i reluctantly left the bike at the gas station. the gas station was less than a mile from a bike dealership, so the boss dropped me off and aired up the tire for me while i warmed up the bike. as soon as we were done, i hauled ass to the dealership. bad spot of luck getting the flat, but it could have been SO much worse.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-31-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
mole2

Re: FNG

Welcome aboard Emory. Ride safe and keep the shiney side up. :2tup:

Old 07-31-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
emory70

so i was looking the bike over the other day and the cute little LEDs for my blinkers don't look right. oh wait, they are something the p.o. put on. grr! oh well.

i got busy this morning before it got too hot. pulled the rear seat and reflectors to clean up the look a little. then i got to looking at the exhaust... hmm... those 6 holes in the perimeter of the baffle don't look too kosher. another mod by the p.o. guess i better look to see what else has been done to the bike.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
BillInGA

Hi emory, welcome to the forum. Sounds like your bike's previous owner has indeed done some modifications.

You might want to check out the modifications section of the forum to get an idea of what many owners have done to modify their bikes.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to download the Owner's Manual and Service Manual (available on this forum) and give your new ride a thorough going-over.

Ride safe and have fun!
Old 08-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
emory70

i've been all over the site. that's how i picked up on the muffler "mod." sounds ok i guess. the bike looks pretty much stock other than that and the LEDs. i'm starting to go over it this weekend, changing the oil and other regular maintenance. once i can get an oil filter. might just hafta wait til i can get some offa ebay.

me being me, i can see the bike getting further mods, if only to make it look more like a mini harley.

any evidence of passenger capability has to go
muffler is ugly
handlebars are too low and have too much pullback
fenders need trimming
seat sucks
lighting upgrades needed

yeah, i may have to just buy another one as a project bike.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Sarris

Looks like one of the pack. Solo'ed out, leather, police windshield etc. I no longer own the Sportster (center)

Good Luck.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by emory70
lighting upgrades needed
Warning! Warning! (sound of claxon offstage)

Just make sure that you don't exceed the GZ's meagre charging capability!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
emory70

the only thing i do to exceed any of the bike's capability is put my fat ass on it.

i like the way you did the strips on your tank and fender sarris. looks very nice.

my buddy dragged me out today to test ride a victory. he is convinced that he needs one of them for a first bike. it was my first time on anything but my geezer or the tw200 i rode in the mst class. very nice, but too big. i'm almost 6', but i have shorts arms and legs, and really had to do a lot of reaching and stretching on that kingpin.

later we drooled over some harleys. i think an iron 883 or a 48 is in my future.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
Sarris

The Iron is OK. The 48 is nice looking, but it's only got a 100 mile tank and the exposed frame rail is a ball buster.

I go 6'-1" and about 280 lbs., and I found the Sportster I owned was way too small and uncomfortable for me. I sold it after only 6 months.

If you are a Harley type, I'd suggest a Fat Bob or a Dyna. You got to ride to decide.

PM me if you need any HD info.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
cayuse

Sarris, I like ALL the leather on your GZ. :2tup:
Where did you get the tank and fender trimmings, and the bags?

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA