Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
ArizonaKev

Melted cr@p on the exhaust pipe

I'm not quite sure how it happened - I am almost certain I didn't do it myself - but I noticed that on my exhaust pipe, there appears to be some melted crud, almost looks like shoe rubber - like someone put a shoe on it when it was still smoking hot.

I waited 'til the pipe cooled off, and attempted to rub it off, and it is cooked on there GOOD. I found a suggestion online for how to clean it, thought I would post it, and ask for opinions/rebuttals/ideas. Let me know what you think of this :

"After the exhaust pipes (motorcycle) are cool to the touch, soak the crud with a petroleum based product over night or longer. (Use an old cotton sock or similar - non-dyed - rag). I have tried: SAE 20 weight oil, WD-40, carburator cleaner, gasoline, and fuel oil. A few other solvents and cleaners have limited success: acetone, paint thinner, mineral spirits, wood alcohol, chrome cleaner, and rubbing compound." (from http://www.gmasw.com/bikecln_.htm)

So I was thinking about doing what was suggested - getting an old sock or towel or something, soaking it with WD-40, letting that rest on the pipe over night, and seeing if I could get it off. Anyone got a better (yet still cheap) suggestion?

As always, all answers appreciated. Thanks all :2tup:

AZ Kev

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Melted cr@p on the exhaust pipe

Been there, done that. It was my $170 dollarish touring pants! Melted a nice black splotch about halfway down. Also, looked like I melted part of a grocery store bag on the tail end. I can tell you what not to do - avoid steel wool of any kind - even 000 will scratch it. Also avoid a flat head screw driver (obvious, but this is VERY effective for scraping the crap off.) I found Goo Gone helps a little (but not much.)

The only thing I found that really got the baked on crud off without scratching was my thumbnail. Very slow and painful, but no scratches. A plastic drywall mud spreader might work as a substitute.

I hope your experiments come up with something better.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Sarris

I used bumper sticker remover to remove baked on shoe sole. I applied it heavily and let it sit overnight. Then I used a kitchen scrubby soaked with bumper sticker remover. The kitchen scrubby didn't scratch the pipe but removed the crud.

That's what worked for me.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
blaine

Allow the pipes to cool to the touch.Spray on some"easy-off'' orginal oven cleaner,let set overnight and the crud will wipe right off in the morning.It works.Found this tip in a ''EASYRIDERS'' magazine a couple of years ago.

:cool:

Old 09-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
mrlmd1

Oven cleaner works but watch out - most of that stuff is Hydrochloric acid, so protect your cement garage floor or driveway with a pan or plastic as it will eat/discolor/etch the concrete, and wear some kind of vinyl/rubber gloves to keep it off your hands when you scrape the crud off. Rinse it well and rinse off the concrete.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Oven cleaner works but watch out - most of that stuff is Hydrochloric acid, so protect your cement garage floor or driveway with a pan or plastic as it will eat/discolor/etch the concrete, and wear some kind of vinyl/rubber gloves to keep it off your hands when you scrape the crud off. Rinse it well and rinse off the concrete.
I also should of mentioned,keep it away from alumnum as it will discolor it and make a mess.
:cool:

Old 09-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
mrlmd1

It will not only discolor aluminum but it attacks it and will eat it up. There's a post on here way back (I can't find it right now) with a short video showing hydrochloric acid dissolving a piece of aluminum foil in a pretty dramatic fashion, Granted, that was probably pure HCL, but I think so is oven cleaner in the spray can, so protect the engine if you do spray it.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
Viirin

I just use a rough sponge, hot water and a shit load of elbow grease - my exhaust was horrible when i first got the bike but now you can practically see yourself in it - i'm not a man for chemical cleaning products and the like
Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
ArizonaKev

Thanks for all the great answers guys (don't think there were any ladies' answers...?) I am thinking I will probably try blaine's suggestion, as it seems like the easiest one, and hey - I do enough things "the hard way"! Although I like the thought of doing it chemical-free too, so what I will probably try the rough sponge and elbow grease idea first (from viriin I think?) and then, if that doesn't cute it, or the elbow grease runs out, hit it with some Easy Off and let it sit overnight.

As always, thanks for all the answers :2tup:

By the way - the weather here in Phoenix has been getting NICE! In fact, yesterday morning, I was actually a bit chilly on the ride to work, if you can imagine that! Thank goodness too - it has been a loooooong summer.

Have a great weekend all, and ride safe.

AZ Kev
Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaKev
I will probably try the rough sponge and elbow grease idea first (from viriin I think?)

AZ Kev
Just be careful not to use a rough sponge that will scratch or dull the chrome.Some of them are rough enough to cause damage.
:2tup: :rawk: